screen hinge causing casing to come apart. Old a1151 17" pro, well out of warranty!

Reaction score
Ok. so i've done a few searches on here and elsewhere i have come up with nothing. doesn't help not knowing the names of the components either!

looking for a cheap fix here as i'm super broke. got a good cheap mac tech local to me so if i can't find a solution it shouldn't cost me to much.

dropped my mac a few times now(screen open). all very small onto carpeted floors but it's finally taken it's toll!

i tighten the casing screws every so often as i find they work loose, as i did this the other day i noticed that the screen casing was gaping open at the back/hinge. clicked it back together easily. now it clicks open every time i open the screen. i thought maybe i could have stripped the thread of the screw in the bottom left as you look at the screen( the one which is incredibly hard to access). checked it and it seems tight.

Forgive my poor descriptive skills everyone. i'll probably be back with pictures soon. if anyone has experienced/fixed anything similar please let me know.

any links to tutorials would be the ideal, pretty electronics competent i like to think. fiddly should not be a problem.

Many thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.