Home Directory question

Reaction score
I want to know if it is possible to copy the Home Directory- Documents, Music, Desktop, etc... to anther HD?

Let me explain further, I have a PowerMac G4 running OS 10.4.11 on a 10gig drive. I installed an 80gig drive and installed OS 10.4.11 on this bigger drive which both 10 and 80 gig drives are presently running on this Mac. Obviously, the 80gig is the primary boot drive and for the moment the 10gig drive is the slave.

I want to copy the Home Directory on the 10gig drive over to the 80gig drive. Ultimately, I want to remove the 10gig drive out of the equation. I believe I can just do a copy and paste of the contents in the 10gig Home Directory and paste them in the 80gig Home Directory without losing any data.

I am probably answering my own question. I just want to make sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Here's the catch - does the 80GB drive already have a user folder with the same name as the 10GB drive? If so, you're going to have to copy contents from one to the other to prevent losing data on your 80GB drive.

However, if the 80GB does NOT have a user folder with the same name as the 10GB, you can copy the user folder in it's entirety to /Users. Once copied, create a new login with the same short name as the user folder (i.e., if the user folder is named jdoe, the short user name should also be jdoe). The Mac will notify you that a user folder by that name already exists, and ask if you would like to link the folder to your account - say yes. Once that's completed, all you have to do is log with the new account and you're all set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.