Macbook Pro 15” Running Very Slowly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacAir; iMac 27"; iPads (3)
If not in the right thread, please point me in the right direction.

I have a 15” MBP that has started to run very slowly. I had it checked at the Apple store, replaced the battery and power supply. However, all applications run slower than ever, not sure if this is hardware related, a virus (perhaps?), or some other runaway software program. Anyone have any ideas? I ran the permissions on the disk several times, this didn’t do it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open up your Activity Monitor (Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app) and take a look at what's going on with CPU usage and system processes. Look for anything that is out of the ordinary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
You could also try repairing disk permissions and restoring the computer to see if that does anything. It could also be the hard drive. My 13 inch macbook pro hard drive was running slow and a new hard drive fixed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
If not in the right thread, please point me in the right direction.

I have a 15” MBP that has started to run very slowly. I had it checked at the Apple store, replaced the battery and power supply. However, all applications run slower than ever, not sure if this is hardware related, a virus (perhaps?), or some other runaway software program. Anyone have any ideas? I ran the permissions on the disk several times, this didn’t do it.

djberry, any update on this subject? I'm always curious to find out the causes of slowdowns.

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
How full is your HDD? if it is over 90% capacity then you will start to see major slow downs. I would do a back up and re-install the OS. Provided you still have the install disks.
If nothing is really wrong with it then maybe its time for some upgrades. Switching to and SSD would certainly improve things, and more RAM wouldn't hurt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.