Lion OS migration assistance - removing backup files that can't be modified

Reaction score
I did a clean install of Lion OS using a boot disk that I created and then used migration assistant to transfer my backup files over from Time Machine kept on my external Lacie drive. However, I noticed after the transfer that while my applications made it over my personal files (movies, pictures, documents, etc...) did not make it over.

I went to my latest backup and dragged and dropped this stuff from my external drive to my HD. Including files in my Library folder. Now though I realize that the files in Library were backup. So if I try to delete a file, a folder, or remove the entire Library I can't. I get the message:

"The operation can't be completed because backup items can't be modified."

I must have made some mistake along the way. Is there a way to get the Library folder and files off my Lion HD, and then transfer them over? Do I need to delete my HD and migrate Time Machine files over again?

Please help. Any assistance would be great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I did a clean install of Lion OS using a boot disk that I created and then used migration assistant to transfer my backup files over from Time Machine kept on my external Lacie drive. However, I noticed after the transfer that while my applications made it over my personal files (movies, pictures, documents, etc...) did not make it over.

I'm not sure what you did based on your description but it may be because by default the "User Library" is hidden in Lion. It may be that they did transfer over but you couldn't "see" them.

What I suggest you do to play it safe is... Start over. Re-install Lion clean, use your TM backup with the migration assistant. (it should be automatic during the Lion install)

As soon as the migration is complete, unhide your User Library folder using the following procedure:

Open terminal and type the following:

chflags nohidden /Users/<Username>/Library

or use an easier way.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Let us know if this works for you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks much! I realized today that that was the problem.

When I reinstall do I need to erase my HD in disk utility first? Or can I just reinstall using the boot disk without erasing anything?

For clarification, I installed Lion on Leopard OS by creating a boot disk. Everything with Lion works fine. This has more to do with migrating an old backup from Time Machine.

I'm not sure what you did based on your description but it may be because by default the "User Library" is hidden in Lion. It may be that they did transfer over but you couldn't "see" them.

What I suggest you do to play it safe is... Start over. Re-install Lion clean, use your TM backup with the migration assistant. (it should be automatic during the Lion install)

As soon as the migration is complete, unhide your User Library folder using the following procedure:

Open terminal and type the following:

chflags nohidden /Users/<Username>/Library

or use an easier way.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Let us know if this works for you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I reinstall do I need to erase my HD in disk utility first? Or can I just reinstall using the boot disk without erasing anything?

As long as you have a good TM backup (and it appears you do) I would go ahead and erase the drive first before doing the reinstall of Lion.

For clarification, I installed Lion on Leopard OS by creating a boot disk. Everything with Lion works fine. This has more to do with migrating an old backup from Time Machine.

Legally, you were supposed to go from Snow Leopard to Lion. In any event the migration should work out OK. After you unhide your user library folder you can double check to see if all your apps and settings were transferred properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.