Screws

Reaction score
Anyone know where one could obtain the torx screws (or equivalent) that hold the hinges in place for the Macbook Air? There are 4 for each side and the only time I have seen them available is when they are part of a complete "Macbook Air" assembly set; usually around $50.00. Gasp!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you checked Powerbookmedic.com and ifixit.com? I know I've seen screw sets for different models (not necessarily the MacBook Air, but certainly others).

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, thanks. $49.95 at ifixit and out of stock at pbm. I'm just having a hard time justifying $50.00 when all I need is one lousy screw. If I can't find it at the local shops I may have to suck it up and purchase the set. Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Expensive lesson isn't it? But that's the way it goes with the proprietary parts used by Apple and other manufacturers. What I would do, is take it to your local Apple store and talk with one of the service techs if possible. Could be they will have mercy on you and let you have a torx screw for free. Hey, what have you got to lose except $49.95? ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you just dropped it during disassembly/reassembly, might I recommend a magnetic screw finder?

I have one of these at my desk where I do computer repairs (in my basement) and it's worked wonders. I think I picked it up at Home Depot for a whopping $10. Very good investment if you deal with tiny screws often.

OP
T
Reaction score
Have the tools no problem. The laptop was dropped and it wedged the hinge. The screw was so tight i had to drill it out. I was careful with mini vac but I knew the screw was history when I started. I did find both hinges for $79.95 ($149.95 ifixit) for the pair. Still couldn't believe how expensive they are. I though I was ordering aircraft parts again ha ha. Anyway, I checked a couple of local places earlier today and will try more tomorrow. If I haven't found any or equivalent by the time the hinges get here, I'll prob order online. Thanks for the help guys. I do love my macs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just checked e-Bay...and there are a number of auctions for MacBook Air screws. Some of the auctions are pretty pricey...but here's one for a whole bunch of MBA screws ($25.00):

Macbook Air A1237 1.6GHz 1.8GHz Set of Original Screws | eBay

Many times the same screw is used for multiple applications within the same computer...so maybe what you need for the hinge is among them.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.