Syncing my Mac Lifestyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
I'm a fairly recent convert to Mac and have got into it in a big way.

I now own an MacBookPro, iPhone, 2 x ATV2's, and a mac mini (plus a PPC g% tower and my works pro-tower)

I am maybe in the market for a iMac (about 4 years old).

The plan being that the iMac will be the main computer, the Mac-mini will be a media server

I was wondering how easy it is to have all these working so they read from each other. I know how to have itunes home sharing etc

But I'm talking about email, calender, iPhone syncing - so it doesn't matter if I'm down stairs, upstairs, out and about (MBP) I can hook up and be synced with my family at home regarding appointments on calenders etc

This really is the sync'd modern lifestyle I guess I'm looking at, one of the things that excited me about the prospects of Mac - now I'm in a position to do it... I'm wondering how the **** I do it! :)

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
When iCloud comes out in Sept., you will be able to sync all your devices together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well iCloud is slated for this fall, no release date has been given. Could be Sept, could be later.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
iCloud seems the way to go then! Shame about the wait! Would have been good if they could have released with with Lion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
iCloud seems the way to go then! Shame about the wait! Would have been good if they could have released with with Lion!

Well iCloud is also dependent on iOS 5. You'll need both iOS 5 on your devices as well as Lion on your Macs to take advantage of it.

C

chas_m

PS. You don't want a four-year-old iMac. You want something newer -- doesn't have to be BRAND new, but definitely something newer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Well iCloud is slated for this fall, no release date has been given. Could be Sept, could be later.

The general consensus for the iCloud (and iPhone 4S/5 release) has been late September. ATT Wireless just blocked out the end of September for vacations, and the only time they've ever done that is for an iPhone launch. We should see both iOS 5 and the new iPhones released at the same time. iOS 5 is on Beta 5 now, so most likely only 1-2 betas left before GM release.

C

chas_m

I can't speculate on betas for sure on the iOS 5 betas, but they've been releasing them more or less every week, meaning they still have at least 3-4 to go even by your own logic.

And as we all know, Apple is never really that predictable -- just ask all the people who lined up to buy an iPhone 5 on June 29th. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.