Copying files from Mac to PC

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm currently switching from Mac back to PC as the cost of a new Mac was just too much for me. :(

I've networked my old Mac (10.4.11) and PC (Windows 7) together successfully and set up a sharing folder so I can transfer over my older files.

I've set my data copying and I'm getting an error saying "file names too long". I've got a lot of data to copy so it's not really an option to do this via a usb stick. Has anyone got any suggestions how I can make this work over the network?

Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
Bump, I could really do with a hand on this one, I've got to get my data over to my pc :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Windows error "file names too long" is deceptive. It could be that you're copying to the root directory of the Win 7 machine and it's full.

Also, there are file names and extensions in OS X which are not compatible with Windows. You'll have to manually separate those out.

When copying (even on a network) you should be copying to folders and sub folders if possible. Otherwise you're going to invoke that error when the directory is full.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The drive I'm copying to definitely isn't full, it's a new 1TB disk.

I don't quite understand what you mean about copying to folders/subfolders though? Could you elaborate?

OP
M
Reaction score
I've also just noticed that word doc files aren't copying over in a format windows can read. I don't understand this as if I'd saved a document from my Mac onto a USB stick it'd be readable on a PC. How is that possible? :S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.