In the market for new Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I currently have a 5 year old MBP.. maxed out with memory and the largest harddrive possible (500gig) with Windoze XP under bootcamp. :Grimmace: (had to for tax purposes).

I was going to purchase a new laptop but am now considering a 21in iMac instead. In comparison, they are faster and cheaper than a MPB, and for my photography, this would be the best option.

The web doesn't say anything about gloss or anti-glare screens. Does anyone know if iMac's are anti-glare? I loath glossy screens.... :Angry-Tongue:

Also.... USB drives? How many does it come with? Does it also have a CD/DVDRW drive? Doesn't mention anything on that either.

Anyone else switch from laptop to iMac? How do you feel about it?

I intend to keep the laptop for traveling purposes.... it still runs like a charm but for my phtoography and the apps I run, I feel the need for speed!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
Oh, you are so stuck. I hate glossy screens to, really HATE them. But I was just looking at laptops and EVERYTHING has glass on it. Barf.

For photography, I'd think you'd want a big screen, and a desktop + monitor. But I guess it depends how heavy-duty you're working.

I believe you can still get standalone monitors without glass...actually I know someone using a 55" LCD as his monitor and TV both.

iMacs have CD/DVDRW drives and still just 3 USB ports (pretty standard but I wish they had more).

If you can do all your work at a fixed desk, ditch the laptop. If you want to work while at Starbucks, just pony up for a more powerful laptop.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well.... Starbucks are far and few here (Australia) I think they are only in NSW. Have yet to see one in Queensland.

So are you saying iMac's are definitely gloss? :| CRAP!!

I intend on keeping my laptop for when I travel, both weekend trips and back home overseas.... I want the imac for my photography/photoshop/lightroom stuff as I'm trying to expand into that field. Easy for me to download images off my card to my laptop if I'm away.

Ok, 3 USB's are better than my current 2. and the CD drive... bonus!

Now to resolve the gloss screen issue.....................

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just to correct an earlier assertion - the 15" and larger MacBook Pros are indeed available with an anti-glare option.

The iMacs, on the other hand, are not. There are appliqués you can purchase that essentially make them matte, but you probably don't want to have a "filter" over your screen.

I think if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at a Mac Mini - and then go with whatever monitor looks best to you. Apple's LCD panels have no special magic (aside from IPS, but many monitors are available with IPS panels).

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just looked at the Tech Specs... the new iMacs have 4 USB ports and it's an LED backlit gloss monitor. Cripes I just hate the reflection!!

As for the mac mini.... it's a possibility. Will check specs.
Just looking for processing speed mostly and anti-glare. The MBP I wanted is far more expensive with less speed than an iMac... only reason I would go with a MPB is for the matte screen. pathetic.... I know.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just looked at the Tech Specs... the new iMacs have 4 USB ports and it's an LED backlit gloss monitor. Cripes I just hate the reflection!!

As for the mac mini.... it's a possibility. Will check specs.
Just looking for processing speed mostly and anti-glare. The MBP I wanted is far more expensive with less speed than an iMac... only reason I would go with a MPB is for the matte screen. pathetic.... I know.

The new Mac Minis are pretty comparable in terms of CPU/GPU performance to the mid-range iMacs. With the i7, you shouldn't be wanting for performance from it.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just compared all 3 side by side. iMac wins when it comes to speed, memory, hd space AND price... comes in about $150 less than a mac mini which has less megs and less hd space than the iMac, although it does have a 27inch monitor but I don't need one that big... I have a 21 inch at work and it's totally sufficient! Besides... it would be sitting pretty close to our 42" in the bedroom...

Might have to try and deal with the gloss screen :'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Get the imac and keep the laptop, best of both worlds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
Having now had my iMac for about 2 months I can say that I've gotten pretty used to the glossy screen. In all honesty, as long as you keep the brightness up, you likely won't run into a lot of issues with reflections and such, but when watching movies and such on it you likely can and will run into issues.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DONE!

Purchased a 21.5in iMac. I like the specs better than a mac mini.
Keeping my laptop for portability purposes.... yes! Best of both worlds!

STOKED!!!! SO can't wait for it to arrive!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good choice. We have a 2011 21.5" iMac in our office and there is absolutely no problem with glare or reflection. The IPS backlighted LCD panel can be tilted downward or upward to reduce any glare from windows or overhead lights. Runs cool as a cucumber, much cooler than my MB.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll most likely set up it up to watch movies on the 42"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
That would be sight to behold. I'm rather envious.

C

chas_m

I confess to being mystified by all the glossy hating. Do you not have control of the lighting in the room where the iMac will be?? How can you have reflections if the lamp or window is BEHIND the iMac screen??

I have two screens -- my laptop and a 21" monitor next to it. One glossy, the other matte, and no glare or reflection in either.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iMac is in my bedroom and the way the room is set up I have small bed lamps (3-way) behind me on the back of the bed's headboard. And then there's the large inset light in the ceiling which causes no glare at all. It really isn't as bad of a glare as I had thought but when watching a movie (as stated by someone else), there's glare, especially with dark scenes.... I can do my makeup!! LOL!!! But I don't intend on watching movies on this computer anyway. Merely for my photography and designing.

I don't have control of the lighting in the bedroom unless I did a complete rearrange and that's looking at about a days task to do... even if I DID move things around, the lights would STILL be behind me on the bed and the computer in the forefront. Just the way this room is laid out.

As much as I hate gloss..... well, I seem to be functioning just fine. Compared to how I feel about my new piece of equipment.... I can deal!!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.