Should I Get OSX Lion with a brand new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 2.5 GHz,8 GB Ram
So I am still set on getting myself a MacBook Pro. I am just making sure i know a small bit about how it runs, and certain "tips" or "quirks" that the Mac has compared to a PC.

I know that the OS will be pre-installed or whatever, but I also know that Lion costs $29.99.

My question is " for a first time user, should i dive straight into downloading Lion or should i use the normal OS before"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If it does not come installed, which I think it should at this point, you'll qualify for a free download of Lion.

I'm really not sure how to answer the second question. Since you're not used to OS X in the first place, the move to Lion would be as easy as learning the in's and out's of Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, Snow Leopard was the predecessor to Lion. I'm still running it on my Macbook Pro. Did you order your new Mac, or are you going to pick it up at a shop?

OP
ScottSullivan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will be ordering it from the Apple store online. I have to apply for a loan before i can get it so i shall save a small bit before i apply.
should be around Christmas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, in that case I'd be willing to bet it will come pre-installed with Lion :)

OP
ScottSullivan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much. I have looked on the "education" side of the Apple store.
I want to get accessories (Case, External HD)
I can buy the machine, case, 500 GB External HD and a "free 75€ gift card" to spend on Apps and iTunes store all for 100€ less than just the machine and case from the "normal" side of the Apple store.

Thanks again for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Honestly, most accessories and external peripherals can be purchased for far less elsewhere, even when you include the educational discount.

OP
ScottSullivan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly, most accessories and external peripherals can be purchased for far less elsewhere

I really do have to shop around. Even in local shopping areas and computer stores.

Although i do like the look of the HD. 500 GB, and bus powered (whatever that means) all for 50 euro, which i think is a brilliant price.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
"Bos powered" means the hard drive will draw power from the computer port that it is connected to (probably USB). It does not need/have a separate power cord.

While this sounds convenient many of these drives (if USB) have to be plugged into two ports on the machine. Even then they sometimes perform unreliably with some Macs.

OP
ScottSullivan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Slydude. I will take that into account when i will be buying accessories.
Apologies for spelling mistake.

C

chas_m

If you're not getting this thing until xmas, there is NO chance it will ship with anything other than Lion on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.