freeze after sleep problem

Reaction score
I have problems with my intell iMac freezing shortly after coming out of sleep mode, and then freezing again shortly after a hard reboot. After rebooting a third time, the freezing problem goes away completely until the computer goes into sleep mode again. I don't see the hanging spinning beach ball. I have seconds turned on, on the digital clock at the top of the screen; the seconds display freezes when the computer freezes. The mouse cursor, however, works. Otherwise, the keyboard, and the rest of the computer are totally unresponsive until I do a hard reboot by holding in the power buttton.

I had this problem every once in a while using Snow Leopard. I installed Lion, and I now have this problem every time it goes into sleep mode. I've applied all of the usual fixes: repaired permissions, verified disk, ran hardware check (everything reported OK) reinstalled the OS, tried troubleshooting with removing peripherals, resetting PRAM and SMC. I have tried to turn off "put hard drive sleep when possible" in energy saver system preferences. I have not found a solution.

I did contact Apple about this, and they sent me software to capture log data, and I sent the data back to them. I have not yet heard back.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Did you find a solution?

thanks, Kevin

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My guess would be bad RAM off the top of my head.

But the log would help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.