Will there be an Apple 3 for Christmas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Just curious if anybody else had heard anything. I've seen nothing except that Apple was experimenting with 1080p. I think my husband will needs one so I can watch stuff

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you mean an iPad 3? Apple 3 was a old Computer back in the late 70's to early 80's that flopped quite badly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
... the only thing I can gather is Apple TV 3... I know nothing about the first two, so I will reframe from commenting further.

C

chas_m

An iPad 3 -- not likely.

An AppleTV with the same hardware and new software ... yes, that's quite possible.

Of course, I don't have an insider knowledge of this, but this much is pretty solid: Apple usually has its holiday lineup in place by the end of September. They don't tend to make new product announcements (other than maybe very minor "bumps) any later than that.

We *already know for a fact* that iOS 5 is coming out in September, and we *believe pretty strongly* that a new iPhone model (and presumably a new iPod Touch, again a very safe bet) will be coming out around the same time.

We *know for a fact* that iCloud services will commence in the early fall (probably, again, September), and we *think* that the Mac Pro will get a VERY long overdue refresh about the same time.

There are also *rumours* of a redesigned MacBook Pro (thinner, more Air-like) and MacBook (ditto) coming out soon as well. And who knows, Apple could spring another complete surprise on us, an entirely new product like the long-imagined-by-analysts actual HDTV with Apple branding. We're also heard rumblings about an iWork '12.

This is, when you look at it and just sticking to the known and highly-likely items, already a lot of stuff, and iOS 5 should make even existing models like the iPad 2 "feel" newer -- so I'm inclined to believe that the iPad 2 we have now is the iPad that will be on shelves in December.

But the bottom line is: if it hasn't shown up by 30-Sept, it's most likely not on for this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If Apple ever comes out with another Apple III I am going to run. The first Apple 3 was bad enough. You had to regularly lift it and drop it on the table to reseat the IC Chips. The Apple 3 was a Black Mark on Apples name.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This post was moved to the wrong forum. I was trying to ask about the Apple 3 TV, not the iPad

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There, it's in the correct forum. There was confusion because you said Apple 3 and that is a computer. All fixed.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much Travis.

I can't see a new Apple line of TVs being a big seller. The competition is already pretty intense there, but refinement of the Apple TV could definitely go somewhere. I'm interested in streaming my college baseball games to my TV via Apple. They are already streamed to my computer live in HD from CBS Sports, but I would love to be able to move it to my TV.

Currently I can wirelessly stream Netflix/Hulu Plus/Pandora/etc from my blu-ray player, so I want capabilities from the Apple TV that I can't do from the blu-ray.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.