iTunes won't recognize iPhone backup file

Reaction score
I have a backup file from my iPhone 3gs that is not being recognized by itunes for some reason. I recently purchased a new iPhone 4 so I need to transfer all the stuff. It doesn't show up as an option but my girlfriend's backup does.

Does anyone have any idea why this is and how I can resolve this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Does your girlfriend also have an iPhone 4??

The reason I'm asking is that part of me thinks that when you do a backup, iTunes may just do a straight dump of the phone, meaning that every byte has to be in a certain place. And since the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS are different models, that means they don't line up properly, know what I mean? Basically, round peg in a square hole...

I could be wrong, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Did this copy of iTunes make the backup or have you transferred the file from somewhere else? Same version of iTunes?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.