Macbook, OS 10.6: "Fixed" for China?

Reaction score
My friend bought a Macbook here last year from the Beijing store-the main one, totally legit. She couldn't get Skype to start up on it. It would come up, but would never correctly connect. We reinstalled Skype several times. I used it all the time from my macs brought here from the US–using a VPN tunnel to connect. Her's wouldn't connect even with the tunnel. Finally I just wiped her whole hard drive and reinstalled from system discs gotten in the US. Then it worked fine. So we're wondering, is Apple colluding with the Commies to modify their computers to do what the gov wants? Anyone else had this issue or know anything about it? I posted this question at apple.com and it was taken down almost instantaneously. So that makes me even more curious if they're hiding something.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? Don't have a clue, but you do realize, Apple has to abide by the laws of each individual country they sell their product in.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Note: I moved your thread from Apple Rumors and Reports, since that forum has specific requirements for posting news stories. Your post is about OS X Apps, so I moved it to the correct forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
??? Don't have a clue, but you do realize, Apple has to abide by the laws of each individual country they sell their product in.
This.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.