Application blocking: /usr/sbin/ocspd

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a mac newbie. I have Norton Internet Security for Mac installed and recently turned on the application blocking feature on the firewall. I have allowed all applications that I recognize, but one /usr/sbin/ocspd keeps trying to access the internet, but I don't know what it is. What is this? Is it safe to let access the internet? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
From the man page, and yes.. it is safe to allow it to access the Internet.

NAME
ocspd -- OCSP and CRL Daemon

SYNOPSIS
ocspd

DESCRIPTION
ocspd performs caching and network fetching of Certificate Revocation Lists (CRLs) and Online Certificate Certificate
cate Status Protocol (OCSP) responses. It is used by Security.framework during certificate verification. verification.
tion. Security.framework communicates with ocspd via a private RPC interface. When Security.framework
determines that a CRL is needed, or that it needs to perform an OCSP transaction, it performs an RPC to
ocspd which then examines its cache to see if the appropriate CRL or OCSP response exists and is still
valid. If so, that entity is returned to Security.framework. If no entry is found in cache, ocspd
obtains it from the network, saving the result in cache before returning it to Security.framework.

OP
J
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the info and the quick reply. I did notice that the certificate of a few websites started not being recognized. I'll allow access. Appreciate the insight!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.