Windows 7 Boot Camp Partition Won't Defrag

Reaction score
Hi folks, I recently installed Windows 7 64-bit via Boot Camp on my Mid 2011 27 inch iMac so I can boot into it for gaming.

I am having issues trying to defrag though. I have tried using the standard Windows 7 defragger, which says the drive is 21% fragmented, but when I run it, it starts to defrag but then just stops and shows 21% again.

I have also tried third-party defragging programs like Defraggler and it pretty much does the same thing.

I set my Windows 7 partition in Boot Camp to be about 350 GB. I have installed Windows 7 before via Boot Camp on other Macs in the past and haven't had this issue.

Anyone know of any solutions? Any help would be much appreciated.

I have already ran a checkdisk and scandisk for errors etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure what's happening but.....

I'm thinking your BC partition is nowhere near 21% fragmented. I've run Windows for years from version 3.0 up to Win 7 and have never seen a Win or DOS partition that fragmented.

I've used both the built in Win 7 defrag program and also the free Defraggler program and never had a problem with either.

Try booting your iMac with your original SL DVD and run Disk Utility from the DVD. Verify the hard drive and repair errors if any are found. That's about all I can suggest for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I had the same problem and tried this:
Reboot back into OSX, run disk utility and click on Verify Permissions for your Win7 partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.