Installing Windows on a dual hard drive macbook pro

Reaction score
In a few days my 128GB SSD and hard drive caddy will arrive. I'm going to be replacing the optical drive with the SSD. I'm already confident in the SSD installation but I'm not 100% about the software aspect.

I plan on having no OSX partiton and running solely as a Windows machine, because OSX is getting long in the tooth. Here are the steps I plan to take, please let me know if I'm epicfailing somewhere along the road:

1) put SSD where HDD was and put HDD in caddy (to make sure Windows install sees it, if windows install sees both drives, ill switch the to minimize noise).
2) plug in bootable Windows install drive
3) Press opt on startup, choose Windows drive (if this doesn't work ill try cmd+opt+shift+del)
4) install windows on SSD
5) install bootcamp (EDIT: drivers) with external DVD burner

A few questions:
Will the MacBook recognize the bootable Windows usb drive?
Does bootcamp function without a Mac Partition?
If I really wanted to, could I have a small OSX partiton on the mechanical drive, and have my Windows on the SSD?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Boy, that would be a rather expensive Windows box, but to each their own, I suppose.

No need for Boot Camp (aside from the drivers package). Just pop in your Windows disc and away you go. If you want to leave a partition open for OS X down the road, leave empty space open on one of the drives for a future HFS+ partition. This should be easy enough to do from the Windows Installer.

And that's about it...

OP
H
Reaction score
Well I'm planning on getting an Alienware m14x really soon, and I was going to put this SSD in it, so I figured I'd just get the SSD first, and put it in the Alienware when I get that.

I was pretty sure the drivers would still work.

Since I don't have an optical drive (I'd be ripping it out to make space for the SSD) I plan on using a bootable USB install drive. Will the Mac easily recognize this?

I know installing an OSX partition would work if I left space on the SSD, but I don't want it cluttered. If I installed the small OSX on the secondary mechanical hard drive, could I boot from that?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well I'm planning on getting an Alienware m14x really soon, and I was going to put this SSD in it, so I figured I'd just get the SSD first, and put it in the Alienware when I get that.

I was pretty sure the drivers would still work.

Since I don't have an optical drive (I'd be ripping it out to make space for the SSD) I plan on using a bootable USB install drive. Will the Mac easily recognize this?

In theory, it should - but I have read some reports that it doesn't. You may want to use an external DVD drive instead.

I know installing an OSX partition would work if I left space on the SSD, but I don't want it cluttered. If I installed the small OSX on the secondary mechanical hard drive, could I boot from that?

Thanks

Yep. OS X will install and be bootable from any partition you put it on (assuming the partition is prepped properly).

OP
H
Reaction score
Awesome! Ill post pics after I'm finished.

Can I just confirm that the sata that the superdrive goes through is also sataII? I'm 99% sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.