• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Leaders in Technology

M

mh10190

Who do you think is the most influential leader in the technology business.

Bill Gates
Steve Jobs
Larry Ellison
The Google Guys
Michael Dell
Linus Torvalds
etc...

Those were just some suggestions
Please say who is the most important in your eyes, and why

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
My initial thought was Bill Gates... yes, I KNOW... But I mean, as much as we may not like him or his company's products, you've gotta admit he was innovative. The guy started out with about $200 to his name, working in a garage and now 95% of the computers IN EXISTENCE use his technology. If that isn't living up to the American Dream, I have no idea what is...

Jobs did pretty much the same thing though, so you could argue similarly for him, despite a much lower market share (as Apple users we know market share ain't everything!) Most of the other people- although I don't know all of them- were good at making use of the technology once it was there (like the google guys.)

So my vote is for Bill and Steve- together they created this awesomely computerized, "us vs. them" competitive world, without which we wouldn't have the conveniences many of us now take for granted. Thanks for the technology guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i give more credit to jobs than I do gates as a leader in technology. Gates is an amazing businessman but technology wise he got most of it from other peoples ideas. Without Apple and Xerox, Microsoft probably never comes to be

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Marketing - Bill Gates
technology - Steve jobs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Steel02001 said:
Ummmmm, Bill Brasky, hello people. Sheesh.
Yeah...this one time, we were stranded on an island after a three hour tour...well, Brasky built us a computer out of twigs and sea shells, and used a hollowed out coconut as a satellite dish to get us a connection to the internet and then called for help....Brasky saved us all that day
Here's to Bill Brasky!!!
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
If it wasn't for the innovators like Job's, Xerox and Google, AMD... technology's capabilities would move forward at a much slower rate... if it wasn't for mass producers like Microsoft, Intel and Dell we wouldn't have a PC in almost every home in America...

It is a cascading effect that relies on an obsession with the almighty dollar just as much if not more than a passion for innovation. Every company's first priority is it's bottom line... But some certainely have more focus on the advancement of their technology...

The tech market just like any other market is a giant balancing act... Where thousands of flawed and unbalanced companies offset each other's shortcomings. I just couldn't set one company or CEO above another because they wouldn't be where they are today if it wasn't for the 1000s of other industry leaders.

I know... it's a total cop out... sorry ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
sevenhelmet said:
My initial thought was Bill Gates... yes, I KNOW... But I mean, as much as we may not like him or his company's products, you've gotta admit he was innovative. The guy started out with about $200 to his name, working in a garage and now 95% of the computers IN EXISTENCE use his technology. If that isn't living up to the American Dream, I have no idea what is...
What the ****?!!

Bill Gates (AKA William Henry Gates III) is the son of one of Seattle's wealthiest lawyers. He was brought up in rich neighborhoods, attended private schools, was exposed to computers at an early age because of his parents' connections, and was attending Harvard when he decided he could make better money selling software.

He's a great businessman, sure. He's shrewd, intelligent, and ruthless, and he knows when and how to seize an opportunity and pursue it to the end. But "American Dream?" Come on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.