Help stop videos from starting

Reaction score
I have an IMAC, snow leopard OS, and Safari browser. When i visit a message board some of the posters have videos in their messages and the videos run by themselves with no start or stop options on them. is there a place in safari or on my imac that i can change the settings to prevent the videos from starting automatically?

thanks in advance.

DC

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There isn't anything in Safari that can prevent this for now. I checked to see if there were any new extensions that could control the playing of videos and there isn't any.

In the Safari preferences, general tab, try removing the check from the box on the bottom that says: "Open safe files........."

What you might also try is to open System Preferences, Other, and click on the QuickTime X icon to open it. In the tab that says "Autoplay Movies" click on the down arrow and change it to disable.

This assumes that you have a QuickTime X in System Preferences and that the site you visit plays the videos in QT. If it uses anything else, this won't work. You didn't supply us with any other info so this was a shot in the dark. Perhaps someone else may have a better idea for you.

C

chas_m

These are (most likely) NOT actual videos, they're probably animated GIFs. Have you tried right-clicking on them to see if there are options for playback?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Go into System Preferences > Mouse > Select 'Secondary Click' I believe (I don't have a mouse, so I'm going off memory)

OP
D
Reaction score
did that and right click works but options on images were only for viewing or saving, no on off options

DC

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
did that and right click works but options on images were only for viewing or saving, no on off options

DC

That means that they are animated gifs. The only solution I can think of is..adblock and adding the images to your block list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.