Lion Mail search "Name contains"?

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded to Lion and I am finding a serious inconvenience in its new version of Mail that I'm amazed not to see discussed in forums like this. I guess I must be searching in the wrong place. Help please!

My problem is as follows. I have about 700,000 email messages in my archive, spanning 19 years, and I very often need to search for old mail from someone who has had multiple addresses. In previous versions of Mail, typing such a person's name (or a substring thereof) in the search box and selecting "From" would give me everything they had ever sent me from any address. Now, such a search gives me an autogenerated list of senders, but no way to select more than one of them. There is a nice "Message contains" menu item, and similarly a "Subject contains" (even though there is also an autogenerated list of particular Subjects), but no "Name contains". I am already finding that this is wasting me a lot of time. Am I missing something?

Alternatively, can I roll back to Snow Leopard's Mail within Lion?

Reaction score
Same problem

I have the same problem with Mac OS X Lion (10.7). Seems that all of my IMAP mailboxes are not showing up in Mac Mail search results. There are no obvious configuration options to adjust. I sent a bug report to Apple, but we will just have to wait and see if the fix it in the next update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.