HDD replacement 27" iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
Hi folks,

I recently bought Lion but when I tried to install it I got an error saying that the drive has S.M.A.R.T errors, a bit of further probing into the machine later revealed that I have some bad sectors so the drive tells the computer it's failing, hence not allowing me to install Lion.

The machine is running OK at the moment but I'm looking to replace the hard drive.

I've called Applecare and they've advised that a replacement is necessary.

Unfortunately, I didn't purchase the 3 year Apple care cover, my machine was one of the first 27" releases, bought in Novemeber 2009 so it's out of warranty.

I'm not too keen on forking out £100 to get the drive replaced by Apple and am the kind of guy that likes tinkering. However, I'm struggling to determine what drive wil work.

I've heard reports that replacement drives need to be exactly the same as the original due to software controlling fan speed. I've also been told that this isn't the case in older 27" models.

My machine has the Seagate 1TB drive, Part number: ST31000528ASQ
I've found this drive for £40, Seagate 1TB 3.5" Barracuda SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard.. | Ebuyer.com
It has the part number ST31000524AS which isn't exactly the same but the size, buffer, speed and transfer rate are.

Can someone advise me whether this drive will run in my machine?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your machine can use any 3.5" SATA drive. No need to worry about using only an Apple proprietary drive. That only applies to the 2010 and 2011 iMac models. So yes, the drive you linked to will work OK.

Before you decide to swap out the drive yourself, take a look at the procedure for doing so at iFixit: The free repair manual. They also sell the special suckers and tools that you will need although it may be less expensive to buy them locally in the UK.

OP
tom_hoyle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
Thanks chscag, glad that hard drive will work. Tempted to increase capacity if I can use any drive now!

I've had a flick through the iFixit guide, it seems fairly straight forward. I've been scouting round for suction cups but so far haven't found anything that seems suitable.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.