OS X won't boot after OS 9! HELP!

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a PowerMac G4 with Mac OS 10.4.11 Tiger and OS 9 running under Classic mode. I changed the startup disk in OS X to the Classic OS 9 and when I rebooted it went to OS 9 but, the little blinking "?" came up in a floppy disk. I though no problems I will just restart holding "X" to get back to OS X but, when I do that it still tries to boot OS 9. I have tried resetting the PMU, PRAM & NVRAM but, still no luck! I hope someone knows how to sort this.

Many Thanks,
Henry Plumb

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What happens if you hold down the OPTION key right after the startup sound? Keep it down and you should get a boot menu. Report back.

OP
H
Reaction score
If you run OS 9 under Classic mode then you cannot get to it through the boot menu because they are on the same partition on the same drive. If I hold option I just get the option to boot OS 9. Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you tried the Startup Disk control panel in OS9

I'm pretty sure it can select which OS on the disk to boot from in the next stratup

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply louishen but, I can't do that because OS 9 doesn't boot properly, it only goes to a floppy disk with a flashing question mark! Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.