• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple selling more tablets every 2 weeks as Motorola will all year

Reaction score
Apple selling more tablets every 2 weeks as Motorola will all year

motopoweredtuaw2.jpg

Motorola announced yesterday that it expects to sell anywhere from 1.3 to 1.5 million Xoom Android tablets for the year. By comparison, Apple figures disclosed during the third quarter financial call show that the company sells that at least that many iPad 2s every two weeks.

The Xoom was widely expected by Motorola to be an "iPad-killer," and the company was the first to market with an Android tablet. Unfortunately, being first meant that there were very few apps available for the device, that the Xoom didn't ship with support for 4G LTE, and that it isn't running the Android 3.x "Honeycomb" operating system found on competing Android tablets.

Not only is Motorola selling fewer Xooms than expected, but the devices are being sold at a discount to clear out inventories in anticipation of new Motorola tablets rolling out later this year. The company is placing its future hopes on tablets and smartphones that will operate on Verizon's fast 4G LTE network.

In the meantime, Apple is steamrolling over the company that used to be the undisputed leader in mobile technology, and doing it without the one feature that Motorola touted in its 2011 Super Bowl ad -- Adobe Flash.

Apple selling more tablets every 2 weeks as Motorola will all year originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
You see kids, here's the difference between Apple and the rest of the world:

Apple: one thing, very simple.
Everybody else: multiple things, tries to be simple, but ultimately clogs the market up.

Competition is a good thing, however, so choose wisely.

Reaction score
"The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." ~ Scotty, in Star Trek III

Reaction score
I think it is safe to assume that Both the Samsung Galaxy and the Xoom are not great items. Not even the Android world likes them, as they are viewed as overpriced, under-utilized products.
The two devices that are the best selling for Android tablets, would be the Acer Iconia and the Asus Transformer. Those two have also overtaken Xoom and Glaxay sales, and at a much lower price point, with the same or better hardware.
The Transformer sold 300,000 in June, with expected sales of over 400,000 in July.
The only way Xoom could be a competitor, even in the Android world, would be to cut their price in half….which the Xoom would never do.
I think the only soon to be challenge would be from Amazon. They already have an app store, and I would imagine are hard at work writing apps for their to-be announced tablet. They seem to be one of the few companies that realize that a device is just a door stop unless you have apps to make it fun and useful.
I don’t think any of them will overtake the iPad, but at least Amazon might make something decent. OF course, every article and news agency will call it an iPad killer….

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You see kids, here's the difference between Apple and the rest of the world:

Apple: one thing, very simple.
Everybody else: multiple things, tries to be simple, but ultimately clogs the market up.

Couldn't have said it any better! I will add one thing: People buy what they know is on the market. A market of ONE iPad is simple. A market of MULTIPLE(don't even know the real amount) Android tablets is a cluttered market...one that shouldn't even have tablets at the same price point as an iPad, but they believe they will score as many sales as the iPad. I believe that's their major fault.

Reaction score
Couldn't have said it any better! I will add one thing: People buy what they know is on the market. A market of ONE iPad is simple. A market of MULTIPLE(don't even know the real amount) Android tablets is a cluttered market...one that shouldn't even have tablets at the same price point as an iPad, but they believe they will score as many sales as the iPad. I believe that's their major fault.

I would be inclined to disagree.
Ford, Chevy, Porches, Volvo, etc all sell similar models, makes and price ranges, yet all manage to make money just fine.
While there will be only one leading company (Apple in this case), a multitude of others can profit as well.
What you may view as clogged or cluttered, most people will look at as choice and competition.
Not all of the tablets will be good, some will fail fast, others will take a bit, but out of them all, I could see 5 or 6 brands having a sustainable and profitable market share.
If you’re a Ford guy, then you’re a Ford guy. You will buy it no matter what Chevy is selling. But a lot of people are more inclined to buy based on several factors, and may leave one brand for another, although similar brand. Such as a switch from Dell to HP.
We must remember that this is a really new tech. Even Apple has made a flop or two from time to time, before they got it right. The companies that are competing in the tablet market have plenty of money to throw around, especially if Amazon jumps in. I don’t know if Android has a big future though. I think is may be pillaged and used in parts, but not necessarily as a whole operating system.
There are few tablets that are in the price range of the iPad, and they are failing (Xoom, Samsung). The ones less expensive however, have seemed to have found a niche, and are doing pretty good. Like the Nook for example (and the previously stated Transformer).
We are seeing a push towards the iPad where I work (I am the one who sets them up), and not towards Android. But for the most part, people still want a laptop.

Reaction score
I would be inclined to disagree.
Ford, Chevy, Porches, Volvo, etc all sell similar models, makes and price ranges, yet all manage to make money just fine.
While there will be only one leading company (Apple in this case), a multitude of others can profit as well.
What you may view as clogged or cluttered, most people will look at as choice and competition.
Not all of the tablets will be good, some will fail fast, others will take a bit, but out of them all, I could see 5 or 6 brands having a sustainable and profitable market share.
If you’re a Ford guy, then you’re a Ford guy. You will buy it no matter what Chevy is selling. But a lot of people are more inclined to buy based on several factors, and may leave one brand for another, although similar brand. Such as a switch from Dell to HP.

The automotive industry is much like the Windows market: they all do the same thing, despite there being several options to consider.

Apple is in a way, in its own boat. There is no "Apple" of the automotive industry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I know you can only expect so much from an Apple fanboy site reporting on an Android device (and vice-versa), but it takes a special kind of incompetence to report that the Xoom doesn't have the one feature it was the first tablet to have (and the reason it was considered such a big deal by Android tablet fans). It lacks Honeycomb? Really, TUAW?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
I find it interesting that the Xoom, which was declared “Best of Show” at CES 2011 has turned out to be such a poor seller. I think the Xoom is a nice piece of kit – I’ve always liked Motorola engineering and design. But as someone who has played with one extensively, I would find it extremely difficult to justify owning one in a market still (justifiably) dominated by the iPad/ iOS ecosystem. I think even Android enthusiasts would now agree that 3.0/ Honeycomb, which was rushed in to compete with the iPad, is a poor operating system, which (incidentally) will never be Open. All hopes are now pinned to the Icecream Sandwich banner, which is set to unite the phone and tablet Android markets. Who knows, a Xoom 2 running an updated operating system with a good selection of quality tablet-centric Apps may give the iPad 3/ 4 a run for it’s money – although frankly, I doubt it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Not to mention a good number of more advanced and cost-effective Honeycomb tablets came out shortly after the Xoom's release. So even Android fanatics consider the Xoom overpriced crap nowadays.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.