• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good to have you with us, mattymac. There is great potential for learning here from other people's problems even if things are running well for you. But if you do get a problem, post it.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome Richard. 72 years is barely out of the paediatric group! It's only a number and Apple understands this because most of its products are plug-in-and-go; fairly intuitive anyway.

And that's why we're here, to help you in any way we can. There is no such thing as a silly question, so ask away.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina 8GB
Hi all, I should have posted my introduction before (already posted 5 times...sorry) but only now did I get my first Mac - MacBook Pro Retina 13". I'm from Portugal and after some 30 years on Windows I'm now an happy Mac member. I have some experience with iPhone and iPad but almost zero experience with Mac computers. So I'm sure I will be bothering you all with some questions...
Right now I'm really enjoying my new machine and wondering why it took me all these years to join the Mac family.
Thank you.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome acdc and if handle the Mac as well as you handle the English language, you'll have no trouble at all.:)

Should you need help, here we are.

Ian

Reaction score
I'm not a new member, but I am a stupid one. Bless me father, it's been 3 years since I owned a Mac.

On July 18 I bought a Dell laptop. On day 2 half the keyboard stopped working. Dell sent out a tech, replaced keyboard. 2 days later the same thing happens. Tech comes out with a motherboard and a new keyboard. The next day it happened again.

I told Dell I wanted a different model computer with Windows 10 already installed and do not send me a refurb. Well, they sent me a refurb but by then I figured out that a battery pull fixed the problem. I sent it back to them, called before I sent it telling them exactly what I'm doing and the reason why. I purchased 2 additional years of support when I bought the computer.

There was an update for back up software, which you pay separately for and I could not download it. I called Dell and the machine said sorry, your numbers are not recognized. I spent 2 additional hours on the phone talk to 5 people and finally got someone who could help me. I could barely hear him and his English was poor due to a heavy accent. He put me on hold a number of times then guess what? The call dropped or he hung up.

So I went to Twitter @DellCares explained everything to them. My computer was registered with the number of the replacement they sent me. I told them I was furious and I wanted this taken care of by Noon the next day. The next day they said someone would be calling me shortly. Call me? Why, everything was in the DM. Noon came and went, no phone call came until 4:00 pm that day.

I ignored the call because I was migrating the dell to my Mac Book Pro. That's right, I was so upset I said eff this stuff and got myself a Mac.

I may be asking questions from time to time, I think the last OS was Lion or Tiger lol. So I'm having a little trouble crossing over, I've already updated to El Capitan. Had a little problem with that but googled my way to a solution.

It's just so great to have a Mac and no stupid person asking me if there was anything she could do, because when I did I got sent to worthless websites.

A long intro, thanks to the few who read it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome back. Actually, I'm surprised you remembered your user name and password. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome to all our new members. ai'm sure you will enjoy your time here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MacBook Pro 15, 2.26GHz I7, 6gb , 500gb
Greetings. I'm so new my MacBook Pro isn't in my hands yet. Arrives Friday. This will be my first MacBook but not my first apple product. Also have has several iPhones and have an iPad as well. I've already been helped with a ram question by several nice people here. Thanks everyone.

iPhone 6
iPad 2 wifi
MacBook Pro, Late 2011, 15" MD318LL/A

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New member from Texas here.

I'm a long time PC user and have worked on and supported them in the past. I bought a Mac Mini in 2011 and used it for a while but went back to my PC that I built in about 2005. The PC started flaking out on me recently so I took the plunge and bought a new 27" iMac. The Mac Mini sits across the room on another desk. I look forward to learning about Macs.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums. Always good to have another Texan on board! :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome Steve. What part of Texas are you from?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a Mac Mini in 2011 and used it for a while but went back to my PC that I built in about 2005. The PC started flaking out on me recently so I took the plunge and bought a new 27" iMac. The Mac Mini sits across the room on another desk.

Welcome Steve. You certainly made a greater commitment to Apple/Mac computers by getting a 27" iMac!:) Not sure why previously you went from using a 2011 Mac-Mini back to your 2005 Windows computer. But now that you seem committed to Apple computers again…get that 2011 Mac-Mini back in operation as well (if it isn't already)!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Welcome Steve. What part of Texas are you from?

I'm from the Houston area. The Mac Mini is up and running and updated. It's actually on my hobby table/desk. When I first got it I didn't really spend enough time to learning the "Mac" way so I went back to the PC. This time I'm committed to learning and using the Macs. We're going back to the iPhones when our plan allows it also. The speed of the camera on the iPhones is superior to the Samsung Galaxy S5. Now if I could just find a couple of grand laying around to replace my laptop with a Macbook Pro.;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now if I could just find a couple of grand laying around to replace my laptop with a Macbook Pro.;)

I don't want to get into too much detail here (since it's the intro member thread).:) But depending on what your looking for in a MacBook Pro…a 13" model starts at $1299 (current refurbished offerings are as low as $829). Then you could always go the used route…and spend even less.:)

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A warm welcome to the Forums. We have members here from many parts of the world, so it's a 24 hour service.

Ian

Woz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (late 2015), 8GB, 1TB Fusion, AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB, Magic Keyboard & Mouse
Hi, it's Woz.
Don't hate on the name. It's been my nick name forever, and my father's, and grand father's, etc. No relation to Steve, BTW. Darn.

I'm coming from decades of DOS/Windows use. I'm still a Windows user at work and at home on my video editing PC (Edius Pro). I use the tool needed for the job, no OS loyalty here.

I am enjoying my first iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, Fusion drive) after spending the last few years using iPads and iPods. My older child is taking a great interest in the film/media field, and the school uses Macs in those classes. I figured it would be a good investment to bring a Mac into the home, so he could experience video production on PCs and Macs.

I'll be a lurker for some time before asking any questions, as I'm sure most of my questions have already been answered in this forum.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Woz

Welcome. Good to have you join us.

It would never occur to me or any other member here to deride someone's name Good on you.

You seem to have a very similar iMac to my latest other than I have the 1TB SSD.

So, you are in good hands. Ask away; but also visit regularly. It's amazing how much you can pick up from other people's problems.

Ian

Reaction score
Howda...

Just now joined to give a little back to the community. Added to a post on a rather involved malware Pop Up scheme.

Thanks for all the help over the years, and times I've used this forum and don't remember. : )

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome Woz and Joel K. You should find a lot of useful info and helpful folks here.

@Woz. Are you sure there's no relation? Oh well, guess that means no Apple swag for the moderation team.:\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.