• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello to all, my name is Kenny a transplant from Buffalo, NY now living in Florida. Have been wanting to come to the dark side for a while and finally made the plunge with a air 2 for wife but she's having me learn everything to teach her. Have been on computers from the DOS days in the 70's. I guess really money is what has kept me in Win all these years.

Hi Kenny - welcome to the forum! :) We have visited FL often over the decades, and enjoy both coasts (in-laws use to live in Delray Beach, so that was an annual trip back then) - in fact, we are planning a return trip to St. Pete's beach in a few months and will be staying at the Don Cesar - might make it up to Tarpon Springs for a day trip - love the Greek restaurants there! Dave

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Kenny

As your post has, for many, turned into a trip down memory lane, I too have fond memories of Florida. Quite a few years ago, I was called as a medical expert in a murder trial in the general location of Orlando. Time passes slowly in legal cases and my time there allowed me to explore Florida within a 30 mile radius of Orlando. Being out of season, there weren't many tourists and my Scottish accent opened doors to all sorts of places. I have to say that the experience of Florida and its inhabitants is still a poignant memory for me. I've visited the USA many times, almost always on a professional basis. The US in general, and Florida in particular, has shown me exceptional kindness and courtesy.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Air 2 64GB, 8GB iPod, 2GB iPod
Nick-Thanks for the heads up, will remember that, been through Westfield a few times.

RadDave-No better eating than in Tarpon Springs. Wife and I make a trip often.

IWT- Glad to hear you had a great experience. Lot of things to do in the Orlando area.

Thanks to all for the responses.
Kenny

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nick-Thanks for the heads up, will remember that, been through Westfield a few times.

RadDave-No better eating than in Tarpon Springs. Wife and I make a trip often.

IWT- Glad to hear you had a great experience. Lot of things to do in the Orlando area.

Thanks to all for the responses.
Kenny

Welcome! And glad to see another northerner that has decided to leave winter behind. We just moved from central PA to northern Orlando this past summer. Still getting acclimated, but enjoying the (mostly) warm winter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Air 2 64GB, 8GB iPod, 2GB iPod
cwa107-Thanks for the welcome. We use to get to Erie,PA every so often too. Welcome to Florida, we've been here now about 18 yrs. Most will tell you after you go thru a summer or two you'll get use to the heat & humidity. Of course in Buffalo it got very humid at times during the summer. I'm about a little over an hour from Orlando. Good luck with the move. It's a lot busier down where you are then up here but you have a lot more job opportunity their.

Kenny

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
cwa107-Thanks for the welcome. We use to get to Erie,PA every so often too. Welcome to Florida, we've been here now about 18 yrs. Most will tell you after you go thru a summer or two you'll get use to the heat & humidity. Of course in Buffalo it got very humid at times during the summer. I'm about a little over an hour from Orlando. Good luck with the move. It's a lot busier down where you are then up here but you have a lot more job opportunity their.

Kenny

You hit the nail on the head, it is definitely far busier here than we are accustomed to. Having grown up in Amish country, and then later living in the outskirts of the tiny metropolis of Harrisburg, we didn't know traffic the way they do here. That has really been the most difficult thing to get used to thus far!

Anyway, glad to have you on-board and again, welcome!

Chris

Reaction score
Hello hello

Hello all. I'm Michael. I am actually looking into replacing my laptop and since I already have an iPhone 5S and iPad mini, it makes sense to finally do the switch from PC to Mac. Obviously a little more expensive, but worth it. So I'm here to get some advice on what I should go with. Looking forward to some good conversation as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello all. I'm Michael. I am actually looking into replacing my laptop and since I already have an iPhone 5S and iPad mini, it makes sense to finally do the switch from PC to Mac. Obviously a little more expensive, but worth it. So I'm here to get some advice on what I should go with. Looking forward to some good conversation as well.

Welcome Michael.:) I'm expecting to see a "new computer" thread from you soon.;)

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome, Michael.

As Nick said, start a new thread. In doing so, give some thought as to the sort of things you are most likely to be using the Mac for - games, surfing, music (listening or editing as well), high-end or general purpose video editing; photo-editing ambitions etc. And then there's portability - priority; nice but not essential; desktop preferred. You get the idea. The more you tell us, the more we can advise.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 Late 2015, El Capitan 10.11.3 8GB
Hi from grecai in Australia

Hi everyone I'm a newbie here.
I have been a PC user for years and have just bought a new Mac. 21.5 inch (Late 2015) 2.8 with 8GB ram.
I like the Mac and found using the Mac easy to set up and use, just a few things I need to learn however I am finding out little quirks by accident like moving finger left to right on the mouse makes the webpage scroll left or right, how smart is that 10 out of 10 Apple.
Over all I'm impressed with my Mac.

Cheers,
Greg

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A warm welcome, Greg. Nice to have you join us. Ask away any time. No question too simple. And keep your eyes on the Forums. Lots to learn by reading about others.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2015 i7 quad-core 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD / El Capitan
Hmm, I completely forgot to present myself, so...
My name is George, I'm from Moscow, Russia (a.k.a. Mordor, according to the latest translation made by Google Translate), but I spend a lot of time in London, UK, and I normally buy all my equipment there. I bought my first Mac 5 weeks ago, so I'm a total layman as far as OS X is concerned (though I've been acquainted with iOS products for quite a while) (when my old Windows laptop decided it was time for it to retire - after I'd upgraded its OS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, it started to freeze every hour or so for no reason, even without any trace left in logs etc. - I TRIED to buy a new Windows laptop but then... there wasn't anything even close to a MacBook Retina 15'' i7 4-core / 16GB / 1TB flash, at least screen-quality wise, so I fell for it....
I genuinely thought I'd normally work in Windows when I bought it - but OS X is so much more logical and attractive and anything, that I guess I'd stay with OS X on my laptop - as long and as much as I can (I'm a translator, and unfortunately almost all of my translator software (CAT tools) is for Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro Retina 13. 8GB memory, El Capitan; iPhone 6s.
Hello all

Just found this forum and joined today, 1-30-16. I have owned my first Mac for about a week now and really like it. I spent lots of money over the years on pc's that eventually failed , thanks Bill.
I am sure I will have many questions as I get into using this MacBook Pro 13 Retina more and more. I can't believe I got nearly 10 hours on the first charge!!
Thanks all for being here ready to answer my questions.
Steve.
ps, so for #1 how do I ad "specs" to my member name portion of the screen? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2015 i7 quad-core 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD / El Capitan
Just found this forum and joined today, 1-30-16. I have owned my first Mac for about a week now and really like it. I spent lots of money over the years on pc's that eventually failed , thanks Bill.
I am sure I will have many questions as I get into using this MacBook Pro 13 Retina more and more. I can't believe I got nearly 10 hours on the first charge!!
Thanks all for being here ready to answer my questions.
Steve.
ps, so for #1 how do I ad "specs" to my member name portion of the screen? Thanks.

Hi, firensteel - it's in Settings (top) - Edit Profile (on the left) - bottom-most field.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Belated welcome to our newest members. Glad to see that you are enjoying the new gear. I see you've already met several of our knowledgeable members. Keep the questions coming. This group gets bored easily.

Reaction score
Introduction

Hello all, my name is bernard I have just registered on the forum I am an iphone 6 user and currently looking to buy a new mac just researching at the moment
seems there are some issues not sorted out by software update so I will keep looking. I use Photoshop and and I am thinking of buying logic pro. I am currently
still using my windows 7 pc which is so slow now, but I don't like the new Microsoft software also want integrated system and less clutter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
New to forum

Hello, took a while to actually join but have been a 'reader' of the forums for many years and have appreciated the many tips, tricks and discussions over the years, so felt it was time to join and maybe add to the already great info shared here. I have used apple computers many years ago while in high school and like many others had to resort to using windows for university and work but made the switch at home about 10 years ago and now we have a house of full of apple products. I wouldn't say I am a power user but have a good handle on the software and hardware and how it all works.

Attila

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome aboard. Always glad to have new faces in the crowd. feel free to ask any questions you need to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro Retina 13. 8GB memory, El Capitan; iPhone 6s.
Great to hear from all these Apple users who are very satisfied with the product. I have had an iPhone for a while, a 4 , a 5 and now a 6 but only made the Mac switch in February this year. I have learned a lot from people on this forum and am very thankful for the ideas and answers I get here.

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.