• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Now I have to decide what is next... iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3, or iPad Pro...

Welcome to the forums and I'm sure you know already that Tim Cook and his fellows staff would really appreciate it if you would buy at least one of each. :$

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Hello friends!

Hello everybody,

my name is Francesco Cristofaro, otherwise known as Frank. I'm living in Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales. I'm 60 years old, recovering from cancer treatment for prostate cancer.

Now I'm a complete beginner, regarding Apple computers. I'm awaiting the arrival of a Apple iMac 5K 27" 2017 computer, I hope I receive it this afternoon. According to Youtube, it is an amazing machine. So please be patient, if I ask a lot of questions. In any case I'm not fully literate with the PC I have.

Although I have an interest in photography, I haven't used my Canon 7D regularly, during the past 3 years. So with my camera and Apple computer, I've got 2 projects to make use of. But with 2 grandchildren in tow, I may not have as much free time available as I would like, on the Apple Mac. Being British, I attempt to speak the Queen's English, feel free to ask questions if you understand what I'm saying!

Frank.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Frank and welcome to Mac-Forums.

I understand you perfectly:)

The transatlantic divide is much narrower than you might thinkO:)

You may be new to Apple Macintosh, but at 60, you're barely out of the paediatric age group and therefore well up to learning a few new tricks!

And we are here to guide you; whenever.

Ian

Reaction score
Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Hello Ian, nice to meet you. Thank you for the warm welcome.

When I pick up my new Mac tomorrow evening, I'll patiently try to work out what the specs are!

Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my name is Francesco Cristofaro, otherwise known as Frank.

Welcome Frank from an old mid-70s and longtime Macer, and your Francesco Cristofaro name seems a bit strange for someone living in Wales.

I'm sure your Queen's English will be understood, but please don't use any native Welsh Celtic, which my cousin can actually understand and speak, as we probably won't understand you at all. At least I won't. ;D

And for your new iMac, you can select your specific model and read and digest all its neat specs from here, and with some extra info as well:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I will say hi even though i don't think i'll be here long as im after a wee bit of info on formatting a drive but anyway hi everyone hope your all OK :*

All1

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome aboard. There are lots of members here more than willing to lend a hand and answer your questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Refurb Core 2 Duo+ Pro IMac 20- Desktop on delivery.
Hello Y'all! New member first Post here. I have never been A Tech Guy, even though I've always been Interested. Growing up through School, I would strongly prefer Windows without ever having one. May 31st of 2015, I was Hospitalised due to A Taumatic Brain Injury. I was put in A Coma for over A Month. I lost my Job Liesence,freedom. It forced me to find great deals with all my extra time. I started with A Few refurbished MacBooks(which i realy Enjoy). I'm currently awaiting delivery of my first IMac, Schedualed Delivery is within the next week, even though the Tracking number hasn't been updated in a few days. I found this Forum from A Youtuber. I enjoy learning more about this Incredible System!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome aboard. I see you made it here. Been looking out for you since I got your message asking about the link.

Tons of useful information here along with some very helpful folks.

Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums danglin.Fury. :)

Like Sly posted, Tons of information here with a lot of friendly knowledgeable members. I've been using a Mac just a little over a year now. I try to get on this forum daily learning something new most of the time. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Happy to be here! I was considering talking to you via YT to get your screen name. Your Comment Solved my question, Thanks! I already Consider you one of the Useful very Helpful information holders! I know my Learning process wil be long and drawn out. I'm focusing on Taking it Slow and easy until i get my confidence up to Par. I'm still leaning this Forum as well. My experience with you on all platforms has been Stellar so far!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the kind words. I suspect it won't be long before you'll be dispensing advice / tips with the best of 'em.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you sir! I've been using my Refurbished Core 2 Duo for A little Over A Year as well. It is great besides being slightly Slow at times. I have an iMac being delivered this week. I'm so excited to Boot her up! I also feel that it may be beneficial to prevent possible issues down the Road as well as other things. One Problem i read could be dust getting in the Cooling inlet. Onething that crossed my mind was, Preventing the Dust by Possibly placing A Filter over the Inlet. Instead of Activly looking into it, I'm waiting for the Answer to present itself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are Welcome Slydude. Funny you say that because I've been considering taking AClass at my local Junior College.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on the new gear. The speed difference will likely be quite noticeable compared to your current gear. It certainly was for me.

I haven't run any kind of deist filter on my iMac but it might be good to start a thread about that and get some other opinions. Your situation may be different.

You can use Migration Assistant to move your information from one machine to another. Just remember to do that first thing before setting up a user account. Otherwise you could easily end up with two different accounts and trying to merge data from the two accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you again. All I know is that its an 09 Model. I've heard of Migration assistant, I just Hope to have my ICloud Password memorized. I was figuring that it will have to be an Immense upgrade as it is A Desktop, and all i've ever owned were Books. I have to say that I get Tied up in Prodjects fairly often that cut into my Freetime. I Hope a Desktop will eliminate that as an isue. I knoticed that you reply very quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Y'all! New member first Post here. I have never been A Tech Guy, even though I've always been Interested. Growing up through School, I would strongly prefer Windows without ever having one. May 31st of 2015, I was Hospitalised due to A Taumatic Brain Injury. I was put in A Coma for over A Month. I lost my Job Liesence,freedom. It forced me to find great deals with all my extra time. I started with A Few refurbished MacBooks(which i realy Enjoy). I'm currently awaiting delivery of my first IMac, Schedualed Delivery is within the next week, even though the Tracking number hasn't been updated in a few days. I found this Forum from A Youtuber. I enjoy learning more about this Incredible System!

Welcome Danglin Fury and my sympathies for all your health issues and your hospital time and I trust you're on a good road to recovery and also hope you escaped most of the serious ravages and destruction that the Wild Fires caused around your Sebastopol, California area and others.

You mention:
One Problem i read could be dust getting in the Cooling inlet. Onething that crossed my mind was, Preventing the Dust by Possibly placing A Filter over the Inlet. Instead of Activly looking into it, I'm waiting for the Answer to present itself!

Unless the computer is in a very dusty area where special precautions would normally be used, adding any extra dust filters is usually not advised as doing so can restrict the cooling air flow which could easily help kill a running Mac.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of my first IMac, Schedualed Delivery is within the next week, even though the Tracking number hasn't been updated in a few days. I found this Forum from A Youtuber. I enjoy learning more about this Incredible System!
Did you order that iMac from the Apple site? Their shipping and tracking is usually spot on.

Anyway, I hope hope you enjoy it and won't need too much help from the forum here. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found it on Amazon for $196.20 with $17.97 for Shipping. Grand Total of $216.99. The Tracking has always been correct with Amazon in my experience.The Tracking is Expected by Oct 25. I plan toLean/Enjoy my Time on it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found it on Amazon for $196.20 with $17.97 for Shipping. Grand Total of $216.99. The Tracking has always been correct with Amazon in my experience.The Tracking is Expected by Oct 25. I plan toLean/Enjoy my Time on it!

That sounds more like a typical EBay purchase and shipping method but anyway, just a few more sleeps.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
New to the forum

Hello, I have joined the forum to enhance my knowledge and communication.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.