• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

Reaction score
Welcome to these forums Lisa, I have been a devoted Mac user for over 25 years and have observed the changing and evolving form of the Mac OS and iOS devices over that time. I suggest to all users that apart from backing up to the native Time Machine on an external drive that a clone using either Carbon Copy Cloner, Super Duper or the slightly more complex Chronosync is highly advised.
TM is excellent for restoring purposes, both for individual files and entire systems but a clone offers instant access to individual files and a bootable backup which TM is not. A combination of the two offers greater security and flexibility and is always the first thing I recommend to a new user.
Look forward to hearing from you in the future, no question is too silly or too difficult and I'm sure I speak for all members when I say that we take great pleasure solving Mac related problems and discussing all things Mac. Check out our weekly live online chat.

Thank you so much for the welcome Rod and the reminder to create a bootable backup. I read about Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper before I made my purchase. I'll be looking into it after posting here. x

Again thx for great advice and the warm welcome...xx

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome lisaz10. Hope you find your time here helpful. I see you have already been greeted by some of our more active/helpful members.

BTW this Terminal thing of which you speak gives me the hives. Think I'll stay away from that bit.:)

Reaction score
Thank you Slydude. You made my day with a laugh and I'm still smiling.

I've had hives before and yes, stay away from terminal.....Far away...Thanks again for the welcome. ;D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Slydude. You made my day with a laugh and I'm still smiling.

I've had hives before and yes, stay away from terminal.....Far away...Thanks again for the welcome. ;D
Thank you I'll be appearing all week at the Mac-forums comedy club.

Wonder if being the resident comic would pay better than Moderator? ;D I bet not.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Wonder if being the resident comic would pay better than Moderator? ;D I bet not.[/QUOTE]

I thought you had to pay them to be a Moderator:Smirk:

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. Told them I'd work cheap. Unfortunately for me somebody thought cheap and free were synonymous.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Guillaume.

Always nice to have new members.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

My name is Guillaume and I am a Mac user for years.
Hope to help and get useful tips.
Welcome to the forums. You'll find lots of nice, knowledgeable folks here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Might be a little premature about his welcome since he's been banned for multiple accounts. ;D

Reaction score
Hi friends!

I am a new member and I would hope forward to learn from each one of you ....

Thanks and best wishes :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hello Pee Wee and welcome to the forum!

There are lots of nice and knowledgeable people here who are very willing to help out.

Again Welcome!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
Welcome Pee Wee, lots of good info here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi friends!

I am a new member and I would hope forward to learn from each one of you ....

Thanks and best wishes :)

Hi Pee Wee - welcome to the forum! :) You might want to put your specs in your profile which will appear under your avatar - helps others in responding to your posts - hope to see you around here! Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X 10.9.5 Mid 2010 ~ 4GB ~ iphone 5s, ipad ~ ipod
Newbie saying Hi

Hi everyone,
just signed up, i have been receiving emails from this forum for some time now. I've found them very interesting and that's why i have finally decided to join up, plus the fact that we have a mac and it needs up dating!
I have had a iPhone for some years and so did my hubby till he went to Samsung!! Anyway back to mac's, ours needs updating and i am hoping that some of you guys and gals can give me a helping hand at this? I always wait sometime after a update has been released, but this time i've waited toooooo loooooong!!
I am semi-retired and only work at our local pub and when i mean local i mean i only walk about 2 hundred yards to work! nice eh... Hubby works for the railway as a service engineer, we have both been married before and so we have 6 children between us and 5 grandchildren! Married for 20 years April just gone, and we have recently down sized our home and live in the country side now.
So now to get to know some of you as i figure to get to know you all would take sometime! :) plus i need to read through some of the forum items on here..so that's me for now, be back soon........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hi Marie, welcome to the forums.

Cheers ... McBie

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Welcome Marie,to these forums, I'm sure you will get any assistance you need from our good natured and willing members. I have learned a lot on these forums by helping others with thier problems which is just an added bonus, look forward to hearing from you in the future and remember there are no stupid questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X 10.9.5 Mid 2010 ~ 4GB ~ iphone 5s, ipad ~ ipod
Hi to you both, Many thanks for the warm welcome, its very nice to know that there are some talented people out there who know what they are doing.... :) especially when i don't have a clue! I was fine on windows platform, i could sort out most things myself, but we changed to Mac back in 2011 and since then i do love the apple way... i just haven't had time to figure out how to change things when they need doing, i.e. i haven't upgraded since Mavericks! this is purely because when the updates come out, i always wait for a while so that most of the bugs can be sorted out, but now feel that for the sake of updating our mac it needs doing, especially with talks of another update release being talked about, so far i have brought a 16gb flash drive today so that i can make a bootable disc if things go wrong with the upgrade. I also have all my documents and photos stored on an external drive, which time machine also backs up to. so at this moment i am downloading my copy of mavericks from the app store, then i will copy it over to the flash drive.... hopefully what i am doing is ok so far?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Welcome Marie!

I too am a Windows convert. Glad you joined us. You will learn a lot here - just ask away.

As far as upgrading - the admins/mods might move this discussion to a different area so you will get more input.

You have not stated what you want to upgrade to. Is your final desire to have El Capitan installed? If so, downloading Mavericks is not necessary as it will continue to show in the purchase area of your app store if you should ever need it again. If you never downloaded Yosemite that will not be available to you.

Please clarify for us.... and Welcome!

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011), iPad Air (late '13), iPhone 5
I've just joined this evening after coming here for a few days to look around and read. It looks like a great place to get information and I'm looking forward to participating on the threads.

My computers have always been Macs and can't imagine having to deal with any other system.

In fact I haven't had very many Macs; usually everything was still working great, but rather it was just time to get a new machine. And...it's fun to pass along the older models to someone who otherwise not be able to get a Mac at all.

I'm not very techy, but I see that many here are, so I'm looking forward to getting help whenever it's needed. And who knows, I might sometime be able to at least point someone in the right direction to get their own questions answered. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.