• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Robert.

I hope that you will migrate from being a browser of our Forums to a contributor: asking questions; offering answers; making helpful comments.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Nothing fancy just something that i can read ebooks on, make a big screen GPS unit out of etc. ...
Might be picking up a current 128gb iPad with Wifi and I'm off to the accessories forum to read up on GPS pucks.

Welcome to mac-forums, and may I suggest if you want a plain ebook reader that lasts a long time between charges, that you consider a KOBO or equivalent.

As for an iPad and GPS, get one with GPS and forget the GPS dongle pucks. I used an old iPad 2 with Navionics.app for our boating in the BC Gulf and US San Juan Islands. Worked great.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey there Robert. Great to hear you signed up & joined Mac-Forums officially. Great to have ya!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Greetings. I'm a long time Mac user. Bought my first one in 1984 after watching Jerry Pournelle play with one ("I don't need no mouse.") at the Byte Show in Los Angeles that summer. I was impressed. He was not. Aside from a few Raspberry Pies, I've had nothing but Macs for home use for the past 35 years. I am also an Apple shareholder.

At the moment, our household of three has an iMac, a Mac mini, three MBAs, a white MacBook, three Apple TVs, two Airport Extremes, three iPhones and two iPads. We live in Nakhonratchasima in northeast Thailand.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Noticed you listed Korat Thailand as your location. It's been many years since I've been to Korat. Was there with the USAF during the Viet Nam war.

Reaction score
Noticed you listed Korat Thailand as your location. It's been many years since I've been to Korat. Was there with the USAF during the Viet Nam war.

Indeed there were lots of GIs in Korat during the Vietnam era. Quite a few stayed. Many have passed on.

Where did you stay? Were you stationed at the Thai Air Force base? (Now called Wing 1.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where did you stay? Were you stationed at the Thai Air Force base? (Now called Wing 1.)

Yes, at the time it was also a USAF base with fighter aircraft. During the war there were many Thai bases that also had USAF personnel and aircraft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Hi from me too Ratsima. I too have been to Korat. That was when I was in the R.A.F. and was stationed in Singapore. My visit was in April 1969 and was there for 1 night on touye to the start of the 1st Asia Highway Rally.

My mate and I arrived at just about midnight for the start of the weater festival, but due to the kindness of the Guys on the gate we were spared a soaking! We had been driving for about 17 hours in my mate's 1954 Healy Hundred 4 and it must have been the worst and most uncomfortable car in the world at that time! We didn't get to bed until almost 6 am due to being fed with beer in the NCOs Mess by the USAF guys. We were not allowed to put our hands in our pockets and it would have been rude to refuse the hospitallity wouldn't it? We did get some breakfast too, I think?

When we came to leave the following morning we called at the PX and when we came out the car refused to start and eventually when we did get it going, after replacing all of the wiring to the ignition, we had quite a crowd of the guys around, all willing to help. Then it was off to Vientian in Laos, very French!!

I still have the entry and my full international rally licence :Cool: I would have been lethal in a regular rally, believe me O:)

Reaction score
Hi from me too Ratsima. I too have been to Korat. That was when I was in the R.A.F. and was stationed in Singapore. My visit was in April 1969 and was there for 1 night on touye to the start of the 1st Asia Highway Rally.

Amazing stories. You were both here at a good time. You wouldn't recognize most of Korat.

It's still hot. 5:00 PM and it's 102ºF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
Hello folks, Mark here. Refugee from another Mac forum that came to be too political.

Looking forward to focusing on Mac / iPhone issues of the day, and maybe a little bit of Newton nostalgia.

Cheers from Nova Scotia!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, NSMacGuru

I think you will find this forum very user friendly and more of a family than some other sites.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We had been driving for about 17 hours in my mate's 1954 Healy Hundred 4 ...
When we came to leave the following morning we called at the PX and when we came out the car refused to start

Ahhh yes, the old Lucas, the Prince of Darkness strikes again. :Smirk:

Actually, I was able to dodge the phenomenon in all my years with owning several different English motorbikes and cars.

EDIT:
PS: Some Lucas, the Prince of Darkness jokes some might enjoy:
http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello folks, Mark here. Refugee from another Mac forum that came to be too political.

Welcome, NSMacGuru.
And I think we both know what forum that one was!!!

It was great back when the Mayor ran it eh??

Cheers from Nova Scotia!
Which part, as if I know all of the different areas. :Smirk:

- Patrick,
on the opposite wet coast...
===============

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
Patrick - yes indeed. The Mayor was a helpful presence.

Cumberland County - if you're ever in the neighbourhood.... ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Cheers from Nova Scotia!

Welcome to Mac-Forums Mark! We work really hard to not be political & avoid as many disagreements as possible.:)

Great to have another Canadian member.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Dyriler said:
Hi everybody, I'm Andy from San Marcos, CA.

Hello Andy. Welcome to Mac Forums.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Andy.

Plenty of friendly advice here. Always happy to answer questions and, of course, receive answers that you may be able to contribute.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dyriler said:
Hi everybody, I'm Andy from San Marcos, CA.

Welcome to mac-forums Andy.

That's a nice area to live, and I used to have some relatives that lived in nearby Encinitas who were involved in the flower industry there that the city was famous for, many (50±) years ago it seems, Encinitas, the self-proclaimed flower capital of the world, but a quick look with Google Maps etc. seems to show that houses have now overcome all the greenhouses and fields of flowers.

Anyway, welcome to the Mac world and users.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Tist.

I'm fairly certain that we have another member living in San Marcos, CA.

I hope you enjoy our Forums. Please visit often. Any questions, fire away. And, of course, if you've got answers, they are equally welcome.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.