How to recover data from Mac G4

Reaction score
i like some information on how to recovery data from mac drive.

i do not have another mac i have 2 other PCs.

i have tried plugging the mac drive to my other PC but the obvious it wont read as its hfs format and not ntfs or fat. so tried to download a software called nucleus kernel which meant to read mac drive but not having any luck.

if i have to i will try and get hold of another mac.

please help as i have photos, video and music and do not want to loose any of it.

Is it possible to mount to linux??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If the data (files. photos, music) are important...I would suggest:

1. Find a friend that has a Mac (hopefully of similar vintage to your old G4 Mac)...and pop your HD into their Mac to recover the files.
2. Purchase a used G4 Mac similar to your previous G4 Mac (should be able to do this for $50-$75 or less). Make sure it is compatible with the OS that's installed on this HD.

There may be some software solutions...but since I have lots of old Mac's laying around...I use suggestion #2.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will the drive be plug n play if i was to connect it to a mac?

To be clear...are you talking:

- any Mac that already has an HD in it?
- "plug & play" as an external drive?
- "plug & play" into an older G4 Mac (such as I suggested above).

I'll take a guess that you mean "any" Mac that happens to be laying around...or easy for you to access...and you would be plugging your old drive into it as an external drive (since most newer Mac's that folks have are iMac's & laptops where you would have to do this task as an external drive). Of course you would need an external drive housing & most likely a usb cable to do this.

If this is the case...yes...you have a pretty good chance that your old drive will be plug & play. If you mean a different scenario...we can discuss that as well.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I finally sorted the Mac.

what i did;
First i got hold of another MAC. I removed the hard drive from the Mac G4 and using a IDE to USB device i connected the drive to another Mac.

There were some issues regarding mounting the drive so wasnt exactly plug and play.

I then downloaded data rescue 3 which run fine and boom i managed to recover all my data. It was some wait but job done.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally sorted the Mac.

what i did;
First i got hold of another MAC. I removed the hard drive from the Mac G4 and using a IDE to USB device i connected the drive to another Mac.

There were some issues regarding mounting the drive so wasnt exactly plug and play.

I then downloaded data rescue 3 which run fine and boom i managed to recover all my data. It was some wait but job done.

Congrats on recovering your data...and thanks a lot for the update!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.