ipad or used macbook?

Reaction score
So we have a family desktop and i don't have a laptop or anything so i was getting ready to purchase an ipad because i didn't want to shell out 1000 buks for a new macbook and i figured an ipad would be better than a 500 dollar pc netbook thing. before i was going to buy it though i searched used macbooks to see if there was a cheap used macbook i could buy. I found a lot of Macbook 13.3" 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, for a bout 500 buks used. I don't really know anything baout this computer and what ilife it comes with and os and what os it can be upgraded to. basically i am looking for all you smart people out there to give me some information and also opinions on buying this or an ipad2. by the way i am in 9th grade if that would change any opinions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My vote would be a used MacBook...since an iPad is not a true replacement for a laptop computer. On my local Craig's List...I see core 2 duo 2.0mhz MacBooks selling for $400-$500 (sometimes as low as $350) very frequently.

If you do pursue a used MacBook...definitely get a "core 2 duo" model...since it will be compatible with Apples newest OS "Lion"...which requires at least a core 2 duo cpu.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
thankyou for the info, am i right in assuming that if i purchased the model you talked about it would come with the ilife that had imovie 6 HD? because i really hate the new imovie 11 and it would be awesome if the model you talked about came with imovie 6. also about upgrading to Lion, 1. assuming the laptop came with imovie 6, if i upgraded to Lion, could i still keep the imovie 6 or would it come with imovie 11? and 2. how would i upgrade since if the laptop came with an older os like 10.4 which i don't think has the app store in it than how would I upgrade since I am under the impression that the only way to get Lion is through the app store. Thank You!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thankyou for the info, am i right in assuming that if i purchased the model you talked about it would come with the ilife that had imovie 6 HD? because i really hate the new imovie 11 and it would be awesome if the model you talked about came with imovie 6.

There are no guarantees. It all depends on what the seller of the used MacBook is including with the sale of the computer.

also about upgrading to Lion, 1. assuming the laptop came with imovie 6, if i upgraded to Lion, could i still keep the imovie 6 or would it come with imovie 11? and 2. how would i upgrade since if the laptop came with an older os like 10.4 which i don't think has the app store in it than how would I upgrade since I am under the impression that the only way to get Lion is through the app store. Thank You!

If the used MacBook came with OS 10.4 installed. You would have to:

- purchase a 10.6 "Snow Leopard" install disk
- install OS 10.6
- upgrade OS 10.6 to the latest version of 10.6 (10.6.8) via software update (a free update)
- then purchase & install Lion

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. I'm sure you must know...iMovie 6 is a pretty old version...since iMovie 8, iMovie 9, and iMovie 11 have been released since then.

OP
S
Reaction score
ya i know but in my opinion imovie 6 is the best. if i bought the leopard disk would it give me the new ilife?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ya i know but in my opinion imovie 6 is the best. if i bought the leopard disk would it give me the new ilife?

Is there some confusion here?:

- OS 10.4 = Tiger
- OS 10.5 = Leopard
- OS 10.6 = Snow Leopard
- OS 10.7 = Lion

Leopard (OS 10.5) was discontinued in 2008 (and no longer sold in the Apple Store)...so no...an OS that was discontinued in 2008 would not include iLife 11 (the newest version of iLife).

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok so through the process u said i needed to do to get lion, in the end would i end op losing imovie 6? Also u said they no longer sell leopar so how would i get it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so through the process u said i needed to do to get lion,

What I suggested was...if you eventually want to run the latest Macintosh OS (Lion)...you would be best off making sure you buy a Mac with at least a Core 2 duo processor.

...in the end would i end op losing imovie 6?

Depends which OS version the computer you eventually purchase is running. And depends if you have an install disk of iLife '06 to install iMovie '06.

This Also u said they no longer sell leopar so how would i get it?

Craig's List or e-Bay. Are you sure you want to install OS 10.5 leopard? If so...an install disk will cost you close to $100.

The bottom line is...you need to decide whether you are going to buy a used MacBook or an iPad. If you decide to buy a used MacBook...the specifications & OS installed on that specific computer will then dictate what specific questions to ask.

Most of the questions you asked so far are hypothetical. If you find a "real-life" used MacBook with OS 10.5 "Leopard" & iMovie '06 already installed on it...then that would sound like the perfect situation for you. If you find a used MacBook without these things installed...then we can start talking about specific questions...not hypothetical.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
What I suggested was...if you eventually want to run the latest Macintosh OS (Lion)...you would be best off making sure you buy a Mac with at least a Core 2 duo processor.

Depends which OS version the computer you eventually purchase is running. And depends if you have an install disk of iLife '06 to install iMovie '06.

Craig's List or e-Bay. Are you sure you want to install OS 10.5 leopard? If so...an install disk will cost you close to $100.

The bottom line is...you need to decide whether you are going to buy a used MacBook or an iPad. If you decide to buy a used MacBook...the specifications & OS installed on that specific computer will then dictate what specific questions to ask.

Most of the questions you asked so far are hypothetical. If you find a "real-life" used MacBook with OS 10.5 "Leopard" & iMovie '06 already installed on it...then that would sound like the perfect situation for you. If you find a used MacBook without these things installed...then we can start talking about specific questions...not hypothetical.

- Nick

ya i found a laptop with leopard and ilife 11 on it and I am trying to figure out how to get ilife 6 on it.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok I don't have on yet but lets say I have a 2007 macbook with leopard and ilife 11. How would i get ilife 6 on it? If i understand it what I would have to do is delete ilifee 11 then get a disk and install ilife 6. is there a way to have both of them? If there isn't, is there a way to run all of ilife 11 except imovie, then install just imovie 6 from the ilife 6 to replace 11? can ilife 6 run on lion? can it run on leopard? Thank you for answers!

OP
S
Reaction score
ok it has come down to two products. a new ipad 2 32 gb wifi or a used 2007 2.0GHZ macbook with leopard that is running very well. by the way we have a family desktop but to many people are on that all the time (my dad is a teacher so he does a lot of grading) So for that and a lot of other reasons I think it makes sense to get a laptop or ipad. By the way I am going into 9th grade. I just have a lot of good reasons to get each one but I just can't decide! I know most of you are gonna say "save your money" but I have been saving up and working for a while to get money and I know have enough that I can buy one of these and still have quite a lot left. Also saving my money is the reason I am not going to buy a new laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB SATA HDD
This question is hard to answer without getting more information from you. I wouldn't imagine someone going into 9th grade will need a Mac with the latest specs designed for heavy duty use, but we need more information on what you will be using the Mac for.

You also mentioned that the 2007 MB is "running very well". How do you know this before the actual purchase? A MB from 2007 won't last last much longer; 1-2 years is the most you can expect from it, and that's assuming that it has 4GB RAM. Anytime 3 years or more is stretching it, in my opinion. By then, it won't be "running well", depending on your definition of "well".

The new iPad, on the other hand, will last a while before it should be trashed/sold, but it's up to you to decide: iPad or used MB? Ar you going to edit movies, play moderate-high-end games (though if these are your intentions I would get a MB from at least 2009)? Or are you just going to word process and surf the internet?

And you made 5 threads all around the same topic, in 1-2 days. Is that necessary? :)

OP
S
Reaction score
This question is hard to answer without getting more information from you. I wouldn't imagine someone going into 9th grade will need a Mac with the latest specs designed for heavy duty use, but we need more information on what you will be using the Mac for.

You also mentioned that the 2007 MB is "running very well". How do you know this before the actual purchase? A MB from 2007 won't last last much longer; 1-2 years is the most you can expect from it, and that's assuming that it has 4GB RAM. Anytime 3 years or more is stretching it, in my opinion. By then, it won't be "running well", depending on your definition of "well".

The new iPad, on the other hand, will last a while before it should be trashed/sold, but it's up to you to decide: iPad or used MB? Ar you going to edit movies, play moderate-high-end games (though if these are your intentions I would get a MB from at least 2009)? Or are you just going to word process and surf the internet?

And you made 5 threads all around the same topic, in 1-2 days. Is that necessary? :)

I edit movies and use garageband so i was thinking if I got an ipad i could do heavy editing on the imac and light on the ipad. same thing with writing i could do more heavy typing on the imac and lighter editing and reading over on the ipad. I never play games on the computer but I would probably get some gaming apps if I got an ipad. baout the 5 threads, the macbooks i am looking at will be sold out in the next few days so I have been doing a ton of research and looking into all this a lot and am trying to get as many answers and opinions as possible! sorry if I am posting to much!

OP
S
Reaction score
also if I got a macbook I would use it for imovie, garageband, internet browsing, watching and downloading movies, listening and downlaoding music, word or pages typing & powerpoint. oh and also a little djaying with DJ applications (not proffesional just trying stuff out and having fun). I think thats basically it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@supermac96

You've now started 3 threads with the same or very similar subjects. They have been merged into one thread. Do not start additional threads when the subject is the same. Post back to the original thread and continue posting there. Do not start new threads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.