BELKIN WiFi Adapter: Mac Compatible?

Reaction score
Hey,

I was recently looking at used Mac's on eBay and I noticed that some early iMac's didn't come with Airport Installed. So to save money I would use a BELKIN USB WiFi adapter I had lying around.

So, if I plugged it into a G3 iMac would it work correctly. And where would I find the drivers? (I lost the included CD)

Thanks, eMac-Jack.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure your Belkin USB adapter can be used with a Mac before buying an older Mac. In other words, are there drivers for it? Check the Belkin web site.

Many newer USB adapters do come with drivers for OS X but that doesn't mean they'll work right. Bottom line: It's best to buy a used Mac that is -

1. An Intel powered machine.

2. Has an included airport card.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey,

I was recently looking at used Mac's on eBay and I noticed that some early iMac's didn't come with Airport Installed. So to save money I would use a BELKIN USB WiFi adapter I had lying around.

So, if I plugged it into a G3 iMac would it work correctly. And where would I find the drivers? (I lost the included CD)

Thanks, eMac-Jack.

The G3 iMac's are REALLY an old line of computers. If you're really interested in an iMac G3...I would recommend getting one of the models that is Airport compatible. They don't cost much more...and you will most likely get better wireless performance with Airport.

Noting your previous posts about eMac's...these iMac G3's are even slower (some models MUCH slower) than even the slowest eMac (700mhz). So if a 700mhz eMac is too slow for you...a 233mhz, 350mhz, 400mhz, etc. G3 iMac will be much slower!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
My experience of Belkin wireless anything with Mac is not good, but it doesn't include a wi-fi dongle. I've read elsewhere in this forum though that dongles are really only effective from OS 10.4 onwards, and even that is debatable.

If a used iMac G3 was on offer, I'd not take anything slower than a 600 Mhz, or a 700 if you can find one. Then you may be able to run Tiger reasonably well, and use an Airport card adaptor (if available) to put in above the optical drive slot. Airport is greatly superior to a dongle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.