Safari froze

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" i5. 4GB, 2.4Ghz, 320GB. Mid 2010
Hello! I am a new mac user.

I just got this 15 inch mid 2010 Macbook Pro for college coming up. I was on Safari browsing at least 3-4 tabs (Youtube, Mac-Forums, and Facebook then my safari froze.

I am currently running MAC OS X 10.7 on it. How can I prevent it from happening again? What can I possibly do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Get 10.7.1 when it comes out. As with any new OS release, there are a few bugs. Many of the issues being reported are with Safari 5.1, also a new release. So far, I haven't seen any magic bullets.

C

chas_m

Not having the same problem here -- Safari 5.1 has been a *dream* and Lion has been perfectly fine. Try changing your YouTube preference to HTML5 rather than Flash and see if the problem persists.

Reaction score
same problem

I've had the same problem twice now. Both times right after opening a new window to youtube. My iMac completely froze both times and I had to force a shutdown and restart the computer to fix it.

How do you change the youtube settings to HTML5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Just had the Safari "freeze" happen to me. Went to watch a YouTube video and everything froze. Could still move the mouse, but it wouldn't do anything. No response to keyboard. Had to power off to regain control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I was on You Tube for a couple of hours last night and looked at all sorts of videos. I did not experience your issue at all. I wonder if it might be caused from some "other" programs or extensions that may be present on your respective machines? I too am running Lion and Safari 5.1. Maybe try disabling any extensions 1 at a time and then retying You Tube may help pinpoint the problem.

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
As far as i remember there weren't any programs other than Finder open. I have also been looking at a lot of YouTube videos since Lion came out, and this is the first time it happened to me. Once I got the computer restarted, I clicked on the same video and it ran without a hitch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I guess you will have to wait until it manifests itself again. Hard to fix something that isn't currently happening. Maybe a You Tube issue?

Hopefully it won't happen again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
From my understanding the 2 major issues with lion at the moment is the safari/youtube issues, this from what i read is down to apple disabling hardware acceleration in flash.
The other big issue which unfortunately is affecting my imac is sleep problems specifically with wireless, after sleep most of the time you have to disable the wireless, then turn back on to connect to the net.

There are loads of these cases being reported since lion, hopefully it wont be long before a patch is available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.