Newbie question about Airport Express

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4Ghz core i7 27 inch iMac 16Gb / OS X 10.7.4 / Apple TV 2
Hi, I have a fairly basic question. As a Mac newbie I'm a bit puzzled about Airport Express and what it actually does?

I currently have BT home hub wireless router, and my iMac, 2 PC laptops & PS3 all run through it. I want to be able to stream music from my iTunes on the iMac to my stereo. I understand that I can add the Airport Express to my existing network and then connect it to my DAC or Amp via toslink cable, and stream music. Not 100% sure that I am correct about this though :eek:

In November I am thinking of ditching BT, and therefore would no longer use Home Hub as router. Would I then be able to use AE as the main wireless router, as well as using it to stream music, or is it an either/or situation. If I will still need a router, are there any that folks here would recommend to use with AE?

Many thanks!

BF :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I have a similar setup at home. My cable modem connects to my Airport Express, which provides wireless for my home. I also have an audio cable running from the Express to my stereo. The only caveat is you may get some stutter in your music if someone else is doing something bandwidth intensive, such as watching a hi-def movie or downloading files. Apart from that it's very nice to be able to manage your music and play from any computer, iPhone, or iPad on the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use this in combination with AEBS and it works great.

OP
BasilFawlty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks EvenStranger and osxx :D

Anybody have any ideas about 2nd part of question re AE as router + streamer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
You mention dropping BT, but you didn't say anything about picking up another ISP. You'll still need a connection to the internet to bring in data, but your Airport Express should serve fine as your primary wireless router. Just remember, a router just directs traffic which way to go, but your data still has to come from somewhere.

OP
BasilFawlty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mention dropping BT, but you didn't say anything about picking up another ISP. You'll still need a connection to the internet to bring in data, but your Airport Express should serve fine as your primary wireless router. Just remember, a router just directs traffic which way to go, but your data still has to come from somewhere.

Thanks, I was intending to go back to my old ISP, so would have connection :Smirk:

I just had another thought about this, which is; would an Apple TV unit not do the same thing, but also give you the option of TV as well? i.e, could I attach it to my amp and to my TV and kill 2 birds with one stone. In that respect, it may be better value than AE?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good question, and honestly, I don't know. Someone with experience with the AppleTV is gonna have to tag in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.