Folders ONLY view

Reaction score
As a recent convert to Apple one thing drives me mad - how I can choose to view FOLDERS ONLY panel and not ALL the files and folders on my drive. This is especially ****ing when I try to move a file or two to anew destination.

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry, I don't quite follow you.

I don't know of a folders only view, in Windows or OSX.

And if you could display folders only you wouldn't see the files you want to move.

I suspect I'm mis-understanding the issue. Any chance of a bit more info or a screenshot perhaps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
re-reading . . . when you say folders only do you mean the tree view in the left panel of Explorer in Windows?

There are many ways to approach file handling in Finder (I personally don't find it as flexible as the explorer tree view) so I use Total Finder to 'enhance' the functionality of Finder.

However, just using Finder:
- I'd use list view and two Finder windows (like I say there are several ways of doing the same thing)
- navigate to the folder containing the files you want to move/copy in one Finder window
- navigate to the receiving folder in the second Finder window.
- drag the files across between windows

OP
R
Reaction score
In Windows whenever the disk is shown in Explorer folders are listed first and then files that are not in folders. In mac I can see them in alphabetical order and this is not what I want - I want folders and then files. If I open the folder I want to see file in another, not the same panel. I found a way by double-clicking Kind which arranges folders separately from files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Total Finder lets you set folders first as a preference.

There is a 'hack' to do it - at your own risk etc, posted here before
Make Finder sort by type with Folders at top

If I open the folder I want to see file in another, not the same panel

Not following you there i'm afraid. If you double click a folder it opens the folder(just like windows, linux etc). If you click the arrow it will show the contents of the folder 'in place'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If I open the folder I want to see file in another, not the same panel.

Finder > Preferences > General

Always open folders in new window

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.