Why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
So you download Lion from AppStore, which takes a while with a slow link.

You remember to make a copy before the system deletes this large download.

You make a bootable disk/USB for future use, in case you have to reinstall.

The installation process creates a Recovery partition in case you have to reinstall.

However, when you do try to reinstall, despite having a copy of Lion on Disk/USB/Recovery partition, the system downloads the whole thing from Apple again.

Leaving out the profanity, this seems less than ideal :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Actually I think it's brilliant, it ensures you always get the latest version of the OS with all the required patches, etc.

Not to mention, technically the approach of putting it on a USB/DVD is not an approved Apple solution so you can hardly blame them for how that works since it's hack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you are re-installing from the Recovery partition, then yes, it will have to re-download it. It doesn't store the whole thing there. Can't speak for the bootable image option though, but as schweb points out, it's not a supported option.

What I did was make a fully bootable installation of Snow Leopard on a 32 GB thumb drive; added my Lion installer to a read-only DMG file; then dropped that DMG on the thumb drive. If I ever decide to do a clean install, I just boot off that and re-run the installer just like before. No re-downloading needed. I also have this thumb drive loaded up with some utilities to use in the event of an emergency with my internal drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I take your point.

However, do you suppose the official (and very expensive) Apple USB will work differently?

For people with a slow connection, having to wait for 4GB to download yet again when you are trying to restore a failed system is not helpful - especially when you already have all that data downloaded.

If it needs patching afterwards, that is less of a problem IMHO :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are re-installing from the Recovery partition, then yes, it will have to re-download it. It doesn't store the whole thing there. Can't speak for the bootable image option though, but as schweb points out, it's not a supported option.

What I did was make a fully bootable installation of Snow Leopard on a 32 GB thumb drive; added my Lion installer to a read-only DMG file; then dropped that DMG on the thumb drive. If I ever decide to do a clean install, I just boot off that and re-run the installer just like before. No re-downloading needed. I also have this thumb drive loaded up with some utilities to use in the event of an emergency with my internal drive.

Funnily enough, I have made one of these as well, although mine is Lion rather than SL. Not had to use it yet :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm not sure it always downloads the entire package. When upgraded my wife's MacBook from the USB drive I had made the download time was only 4 minutes so it may have only been doing a version check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I take your point.

However, do you suppose the official (and very expensive) Apple USB will work differently?

Couldn't tell you until it's released.

For people with a slow connection, having to wait for 4GB to download yet again when you are trying to restore a failed system is not helpful - especially when you already have all that data downloaded.

Won't deny it's PITA, but let's be honest, most of Apple's target demographic and where the majority of their sales are are in areas where slow internet is generally not a problem. They build and market towards that segment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, when you do try to reinstall, despite having a copy of Lion on Disk/USB/Recovery partition, the system downloads the whole thing from Apple again.

If you're going to create and use a bootable DVD to do repairs (good idea in case of HDD failure) you should also burn a copy of the installer to another DVD. That way re-downloading is not required.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're going to create and use a bootable DVD to do repairs (good idea in case of HDD failure) you should also burn a copy of the installer to another DVD. That way re-downloading is not required.

I have them both on the same USB memory stick. The idea being I boot off the device into Lion and then run the Installer on the same device onto the target partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.