How can I sync 2 macs together? (+ ipads & iphones?)

Reaction score
Hi,

As the title implies, I wish to sync content from iCal and other appz between 2 macs, and if it's possible with iphones and ipads.

I'm not sure if buying airport express or extreme is necessary, and I'm not sure of what application to use (iCloud, Windows Live Mesh, Rsync..etc), and if some specific applications are needed to sync iphones and ipads.

Thanks in advance for your help, I've googled for answers and I couldn't find anything really helpful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi,

As the title implies, I wish to sync content from iCal and other appz between 2 macs, and if it's possible with iphones and ipads.

I'm not sure if buying airport express or extreme is necessary, and I'm not sure of what application to use (iCloud, Windows Live Mesh, Rsync..etc), and if some specific applications are needed to sync iphones and ipads.

Thanks in advance for your help, I've googled for answers and I couldn't find anything really helpful

You will want to use iCloud whenever it goes live. It's done now through MobileMe, but that's being replaced by iCloud and new signups are not being taken at this time, last I read.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, isn't iCloud supposed to be included in Lion? Until it goes live, what can I use? (besides MobileMe since I can't sign up...)

Is it necessary to use airport express/extreme to facilitate the sync and have more options or is it superfluous?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There really isn't an easy way to do it until iCloud since you can't sign up for new MobileMe accounts.

It doesn't matter which router you use. It's cloud based.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for your reply, isn't iCloud supposed to be included in Lion? Until it goes live, what can I use? (besides MobileMe since I can't sign up...)

Is it necessary to use airport express/extreme to facilitate the sync and have more options or is it superfluous?

An Airport router won't be necessary at all with iCloud. Errrr… I don't think it will be anyway. It shouldn't be, though there may be features that are designed to work with a Time Capsule. For the moment, you can sync your iPhones/iPads by connecting them to iTunes with the cable. As for between the Macs… you probably could with some creative use of 3rd party cloud solutions like DropBox, though I'll have to leave that to someone else to clarify.

OP
O
Reaction score
DropBox you say? I'll have a look at it, thanks.

A guy on another forum sent me this link, it seems to be exactly what I want to do but it's a bit outdated (2005), so I don't know if it's still useful.

Keeping multiple macs in sync

What do you guys think of the advices given in this article?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.