iMac font is not crisp

Reaction score
I recently bought a new iMac and the font does not look crisp and is far worse than any other monitor i've used. Any suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Font smoothing, anti-aliasing, and sub-pixel rendering - Joel on Software

I didn't like it either and almost 5 years later and a new Mac just yesterday, still prefer Microsoft's vision of text on a monitor. I have gotten use to it on my Mac displays and on computer monitors in general and really don't mind it anymore. But, I'm still using a Win 7 machine when I want text on a big screen TV.

You can try opening up System Preferences - General and playing with the bottom two options.

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow, that's unfortunate. I am definitely used to windows style "non-blurry" text, to the point that I'm unsure if I can stick with apple (even though there are so many other reasons I would love to stay apple). Is there ANYTHING I can do to make the text less blurry???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Play with the settings I already suggested. That's about all I ever found. I was, to say the least, not happy about this in the beginning. It took me about a year to get to the point where I didn't really notice the difference moving between machines and I use OS X, XP and Win 7 on a daily basis still. I found OS X to be worth the "getting use to it". You may also. If not, take heart in the fact that Macs hold their value drastically better than any Windows machine if you decide to go back to that other OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Something to check is that you're running a native resolution too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Something to check is that you're running a native resolution too!

This.

I can't imagine that unless your resolution is set incorrectly that the fonts are going to be that blurry that you would feel it's so bad you couldn't use a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.