Oh No! My MacBook Pro is going crazy!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It could very well be Chrome - I've noticed that Silverlight performance varies between browsers. This is why I commonly joke that Safari has become my dedicated Netflix player (as you can imagine, Netflix uses Silverlight). What you're seeing is "normal" (for lack of a better word) so use the browser that works best for you with Silverlight.

If it's any consolation, Chrome sucks here too with Silverlight once the video reaches a certain size.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
It could very well be Chrome - I've noticed that Silverlight performance varies between browsers. This is why I commonly joke that Safari has become my dedicated Netflix player (as you can imagine, Netflix uses Silverlight). What you're seeing is "normal" (for lack of a better word) so use the browser that works best for you with Silverlight.

If it's any consolation, Chrome sucks here too with Silverlight once the video reaches a certain size.

hrmm... Interesting!!

What do you mean that Chrome sucks when the video reaches a certain size?

See, I know in the PC world you used to have to install certain plugins like SilverLight for each browser separately. But for Mac OS X that isn't true, and all browsers use the same plugin install. There an interface code between each browser and SilverLight of course but it's all the same install.

I am guessing, that with Chrome SilverLight isn't switching between "integrated" and "Discrete" graphics causing the overheating issue and subsequently stopping battery charging to prevent in more heat until it cools off.

Just a theory though!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What do you mean that Chrome sucks when the video reaches a certain size?
I meant actual size on the screen, not file size. For instance, if I resize my browser window to be small enough, Netflix videos play without issue. Once it gets to a certain size (about 1/2 - 3/4 of the screen), it starts to get noticeable choppy.

See, I know in the PC world you used to have to install certain plugins like SilverLight for each browser separately. But for Mac OS X that isn't true, and all browsers use the same plugin install. There an interface code between each browser and SilverLight of course but it's all the same install.
You shouldn't have to reinstall the plugins for each browser in Windows. That's perhaps another issue for another day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
I have a MB Pro

and run Chrome. 8 Gig of memory, 500 gig HDD, 2.66 Intel Corei7 processor and have no such problems. This is not a Chrome problem at all. Now that you can reproduce the problem, back to the Apple store with it and show them what is happening.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah that's the plan.

But it won't happen till Friday afternoon sometime. I am just too busy prepping for the final on Friday morning, then I'll go poke a Genius :D

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I went to the Apple Store today.

Initially, the Genius dude was like alright we might have to check it in for a few days to get more inspection done to it and fix it if need be.

He still wasn't convinced it was a hardware issue. I dragged him over to a floor model that is exactly like mine. And lo' and be hold, the floor model performs perfectly!!!

Running the same HD video from youtube on Chrome (yes I convinced him to install Chrome on the floor model ;) ) or Safari the floor model would consume about 10-12% CPU, while mine would take anywhere between 50-80% and still he wasn't convinced it was an issue with my system.

Finally, after arguing back and forth, I walked out with a brand spanking new MBP with Lion preloaded (Though I miss certain aspects of Snow Leopard :()

Over all the new system is performing a whole lot better, no more over heating. Chrome and Silver light are still an issue, but some digging and googling I found out that Silverlight doesn't fully support Chrome (screw you Microsoft).

But all in all, the problem manifested with SilverLight and chrome, and ended being with any sort of Video Streaming with any browser would hose the system up and send the Fans kicking.

I ran the same HD video on the new system and it stays nice and cool, fans don't go above 3k rpm and the cpu doesn't use more than 10-12%

Thanks y'all for your support here.

Cheers,

--M

Reaction score
I'm noticing that Chrome is making my MBP run a bit hot when streaming from Netflix as well. Switching to Safari fixes everything but too bad I'm so accustomed to Chrome now and it's what I use on all my machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.