10 minute boot on MacBook 1,1 OSX 10.6.. Blue screen

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum (my first post) and new to mac, although I have owned a iphone since day one and now a iPad 2..

Anyways, here is my problem. I recently purchased a older MacBook 1,1 with OSX 10.4 installed. Being you can't really do much with such a old OSX, I decided to go out and buy OSX 10.6. In prep for my upgrade I went ahead and got a bran new battery, and 2GB of Crucial DDR2 PC2-5300 667. After I installed all of it I started up Tiger, just to see if it all worked and it did. Started up very fast and ran great. So I then decided to do the update. Install went great and Snow Leapord started up. Once it was all started up and running the computer is fast, and works just like it should. So I thought I would test out the starting time of it and wow... Took 10 minutes, or 9:45 to be exact... I know the computer takes a while to start up after a fresh install, but after the second or third start it should be running normal... But no... So I thought maybe it's just cause I don't have the latest updates installed. So I installed them, and still it took 9:40-10 min to install.

I then went online an read through maybe 100 different forums and threads trying to see why this may be happening and what I can do to fix it.. I tried it all and still nothing. I tried verify disk, repairing the disk, verify permissions and repairing the permissions and still nothing. (when verifying both permissions and disk no errors came up)(also did all of this when the computer was on, and through the install disk at boot). I tried deleteing different cashe, but still no different. I looked into the start logins, there was nothing in there..

So after a lot if waiting and banging my head on the wall, I formatted the hard drive and did a fresh install. But even after that it still is incredibly slow at startup.. I mean I just dont get it. It takes maybe a minute to get past the screen with the apple, then comes the blue screen and I wait.. An wait.. And then it starts... Works perfect though once it's up and running. No problems at all...

Now I am at the point where I don't know what else it could be. I'm thinking of just buying a new hard drive in a last resort to see if it's my hard drive failing... But if I do end up doing that, will I need to buy anther copy of 10.6?

Anyways, hope some of you guys came help me out here! I'm not really a mac guy and this is mt first one... I know pc's in and out, just not mac.

Many thanks :D

Reaction score
welcome to the forums!
did you try reseting PRAM and SMC?

1. PRAM
(left side) CMD OPT SHIFT R P+ power button
2. SMC
power button for 5-10 seconds

OP
G
Reaction score
welcome to the forums!

1. PRAM
2. SMC

Yes I have, but that was on the previous install I did. I'll try it again right now to this fresh install I just finished.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
G
Reaction score
welcome to the forums!

1. PRAM
2. SMC

Okay so I did the SMC and PRAM tests and still no luck. I'll go ahead and try the Apple Hardware test and you guys know what comes up.

And I also did look over the cnet article and sadly I have tried most of those things.. So not lookin too good for meh :\

Reaction score
i feel bad for you just in the fact that i know you have to keep restarting your computer... and the start up is the issue >.<

OP
G
Reaction score
Welp, tried it all and didnt work. So i just ordered a 120gb manufactured refurbished hard drive and should be here next week. My only question is, will i have to buy another copy of OSX 10.6 now that im gonna be using a different hard drive?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welp, tried it all and didnt work. So i just ordered a 120gb manufactured refurbished hard drive and should be here next week. My only question is, will i have to buy another copy of OSX 10.6 now that im gonna be using a different hard drive?

No, you shouldn't have to. I would contact Apple directly and explain the situation. They should have record of your purchase and offer you some options.

As a side note, I would be very leery of a refurbished HDD. Was it incredibly cheap or something? A 320GB drive should cost less than $50 brand new with a three year warranty. Hard drives, being mechanical in nature have a mean-time before failure (MTBF). As a refurbished drive that has to be at least 4 years old, I'd be concerned about storing my precious data on it.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issues as you, except on a MacPro.

Done all the same stuff, pram, smc, re-installed OS on different HD's etc. Apple Hardware Test and all came up with nothing.

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay, someone please shed some light on this situation before i blow a fuse. I got my hard drive in the mail today. Installed it and installed osx 10.6 and did all the updates on it.

So you'd think after iv replaced every part on this computer it would start faster right? no, It still takes, almost exactly 9 minutes and 25 seconds to start. It took this long before i installed the better ram, before i installed the 2 gigs of ram and was only running 512 mg.. It took this long before and after the new battery and now it still takes this long after a new hard drive and yet another completely fresh install.

Does anyone have any advice on what else i can do? If not ima throw it off a cliff. Seriuosly fed up with this machine. Iv always been a windows kind of person and this is not a good way for me to get into macs.. And the fact that they wont help you on the phone unless you empty you wallet for them its rediclous!

Anyways, some one PLEASE help.:\

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still a little concerned about the refurbished hard drive. Did you run the SMART Utility on it to make sure that it was completely healthy. Seems odd that you'd be having these kinds of problems on a fresh install. It really makes me think you might have an underlying hardware problem.

Also, after install, did you get OS X up to 10.6.8?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I haven't seen OnyX Download OnyX for Mac - OS X maintenance & optimization tool. MacUpdate.com mentioned, and I'd warmly recommend it to check out the System, also its relationship to the hardware architecture.

Second - I haven't noted any reference to the brand of RAM. Faulty or partially compatible RAM can cause the slowness to which you refer.

I agree with cwa about a refurbished drive. As backup or storage perhaps, but not a primary internal drive.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes I have tried onyx and tried all the different things you can do with it and still no difference

As far as the ram goes, I first just went to frys and bought 2x1 gb of ddr2 667 kingston ram. The computer started very slow and had the same problems. So I went online and did some research on what would be the best ram to get for my mac and I bought 2x1 gb DDR2 5300 667 crucial ram, which iv seen people say is very good. The computer started up in the exact same 9 min 25 seconds.

Here is the thing about the hard drive thing. I think that even if it wasnt the best idea to buy a refurbished one, you think maybe the computer would be or act just a little different.. But the computer still took the same amount of time to start.. Almost exactly.

Personally I think it might just be some kind of hardware problem within the computer.. Maybe the motherboard or processor... But it's weird because after the computer starts it runs really fast and really well... Just waiting 10 minutes to get there is not practical.

Do any of you thing it could be a defective OSX 10.6 disk?

Ohh and to answer your question, yes I have the latest 10.6.8 update and no difference

OP
G
Reaction score
Have some new information that I'm sure will be helpful :)

I decided to go over all of the things I have tried many times in the past and it seems that I might have found something. When I use to start in safe mode it would take the same amount of time, 9 min and 25 seconds.. But now, iv noticed that when I start it in safe mode it only takes roughly 2 minutes 30 seconds and I do not see the blue screen at start up, just the login screen. After I put in my login it loads up and works great!

So this leads me to believe that this has something to do with something starting up in 'normal' mode that is hanging it up on start.

Iv also tried a few other things to see where exactly along the blue screen it is getting held up and I noticed that regardless if I have the computer set to auto-login or have to use a password, the blue screen will display first then the login panel... If that makes any sense...

Iv gone through onyx and cleaned the fonts and stuff and there is nothing in the startup logins for my account. I also made another admin account to see if that would clear anything out but the blue screen will still display for the 9 min it does before it will bring me to the login panel.

I hope that maybe im onto something here.. I was flabbergasted when the computer started so fast in safe mode..... :Confused:

Ohh and I also tried restarting after being in safe mode and it still didnt change anything..

What do you guys think?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Startup

Select your OS X partition and reboot - twice. See if that helps.

And disconnect any external devices that may be connected.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing to look at - open your Console (Applications => Utilities) and look through the system log. There should be some information there to at least point you in the direction of what's failing to start properly.

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay so i just did the restart twice and still no difference. I also went into console, but i dont really know what im looking for in there.. so i took a screen shot, maybe you guys could make sense of it?:D

The log should show all the 2 restarts i did.

Also if you cant read the picture here is the text:

Code:
8/5/11 12:47:08 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	(org.cups.cupsd) Path monitoring failed on "/private/var/spool/cups/cache/org.cups.cupsd": No such file or directory
8/5/11 12:48:20 PM	com.apple.WindowServer[72]	Fri Aug  5 12:48:20 Graham-Williamss-MacBook.local WindowServer[72] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
8/5/11 12:56:30 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107]	(com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
8/5/11 12:56:39 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107]	(com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[126]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/5/11 12:56:40 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107]	([email protected][129]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/5/11 12:57:10 PM	com.apple.diskmanagementd[143]	/: no supported helper partitions to update.
8/5/11 12:57:12 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107]	(com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent[128]) Exited: Killed
8/5/11 12:57:51 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	*** launchd[1] has started up. ***
8/5/11 12:57:54 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	(org.cups.cupsd) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4598 (24498):2
8/5/11 12:57:54 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	(org.cups.cupsd) Path monitoring failed on "/private/var/spool/cups/cache/org.cups.cupsd": No such file or directory
8/5/11 12:59:06 PM	com.apple.WindowServer[71]	Fri Aug  5 12:59:06 Graham-Williamss-MacBook.local WindowServer[71] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
8/5/11 1:07:16 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[112]	(com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
8/5/11 1:07:23 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[112]	(com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[131]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/5/11 1:07:24 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[112]	([email protected][134]) Exited with exit code: 1

Screen shot 2011-08-05 at 1.13.12 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
No idea if this will do anything, but try turning your airport off and then rebooting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.