10 minute boot on MacBook 1,1 OSX 10.6.. Blue screen

OP
G
Reaction score
As far as using this laptop for school goes just boot it up and keep it in sleep mode throughout the day. I know of people who keep their computers on for years without ever shutting them off.

As far as fixing the problem goes, I honestly don't know what could be causing it. You only have an Intel Core Duo processor correct? So upgrading to Lion isn't an option either.

Well see I would just out it to sleep but when i out it to sleep the thing won't wake up... It just crashes.. So my only option is to leave the computer on with the screen brightness all the way down, and the sleeping settings turned off... Either that or fix the problem...

But yes, the highest upgrade I could have is SL.. I would just downgrade to Leapord but with all the other cases of this problem I have seen online, people are having the same isse with 10.5.. So there's no point... I do have the original copy of 10.4 but Practically nothing now days will run on it... It's like running windows 98.. ;P

Grr I hate this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Well see I would just out it to sleep but when i out it to sleep the thing won't wake up... It just crashes.. So my only option is to leave the computer on with the screen brightness all the way down, and the sleeping settings turned off... Either that or fix the problem...

But yes, the highest upgrade I could have is SL.. I would just downgrade to Leapord but with all the other cases of this problem I have seen online, people are having the same isse with 10.5.. So there's no point... I do have the original copy of 10.4 but Practically nothing now days will run on it... It's like running windows 98.. ;P

Grr I hate this!

Well, Tiger definitely isn't Windows 98. It'll still run quite a few new apps (or at least older versions of new apps) If you're desperate to fix the problem, that may be your only option at this point.

Reaction score
Hi gwairways. Did you ever figure out a fix to your problem?

Because right now I feel your pain.

I'm running 10.6.8 on a 3,1 macbook with 2gb of ram (original factory ram, I might add) and I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms as you, all the way down to safe mode booting up at around 2-3 minutes and the blue screen lasting for about 10. Only difference is that my macbook originally shipped with 10.5 instead of 10.4 (the symptoms didn't begin until I upgraded to snow leopard though).

I will also add that sometimes, in addition to taking a long time to boot up, osx also takes awhile to fully shut down, with the fan and the indicator light often running upwards of a half a minute or so after the shut down signal and the blanking of the screen. The only way to turn the computer back on during these situations is to hold the power button down until the fan stops (something akin to a hard shut down, I believe), release, and hit the power button again. Other times, when I shut the lid of the macbook, it will be unable to recover from sleep mode and I'll have to do a hard reboot. Have you experienced either of these symptoms?

I have tried everything you have and more, including:
- putting in a brand new, factory sealed sata drive
- replacing the pram battery
- swapping different ram sticks in and out
- multiple clean installs of multiple versions of osx, multiple upgrades from one version to another, etc. Basically multiple combinations of everything imaginable. I've even tried repair disk with outdated versions of disk utility just for schlitz and giggles.

The blue screen still abounds.

Some people who are much wiser than me have indicated that my problem might be the logic board itself, something to do with an IOKit (I'm not sure what this is, nor is google particularly elucidating in this regard). I am inclined to disagree, though, as I've been able to boot various Windows and Linux distributions successfully, all at reasonable speeds. I figured that if my logic board was damaged, I would be having problems with these operating systems as well. Yet Ubuntu, Fedora, XP, and 7 all work fine for me. OS X is the only problem child so far. Have you tried booting a different OS on your computer?

Reaction score
Are you running Google Chrome?

My analysis on my MBP suggests that problems that I'm experiencing are due to a bug in Chrome which causes a "block_files.cc(459)] File too small" error. See my analysis at https://discussions.apple.com/message/18014918#18014918

Because it appears that you can stop this blue screen startup by delaying your restart, it would be worth a few more people doing what I did to try to find out which program it is that causes the initial problem. Of course, it may be that nobody else finds the same effects as me. If that's the case, it would be worth reporting that as well! :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
try this!

I was having the same problem for 6 weeks with my macbook no fix, and i finally found this and it fixed the problem. I was about to go by a logicboard or a new computer.

Try it, can't hurt anything..

On your hard drive, go to Systems/Library/Extensions folder
Look for any kext file that starts with IOFirewire, copy them to a new folder on your desktop
Delete the files from your extensions folder.
Reboot.
See if it fixes the problem, if so (or not) copy the files back to the Systems/Library/Extensions folder
Go to Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.
Reboot.
Done.

Reaction score
IOFirewire

I was having the same problem for 6 weeks with my macbook no fix, and i finally found this and it fixed the problem. I was about to go by a logicboard or a new computer.

Try it, can't hurt anything..

On your hard drive, go to Systems/Library/Extensions folder
Look for any kext file that starts with IOFirewire, copy them to a new folder on your desktop
Delete the files from your extensions folder.
Reboot.
See if it fixes the problem, if so (or not) copy the files back to the Systems/Library/Extensions folder
Go to Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.
Reboot.
Done.

I am very technologically challenged!
Have been experiencing the exact same problem for about 4 weeks now (between 9 and 10 minutes to become operational from powering up)
Spent a fair amount of time without my iMac as I was advised to send it to our local Apple agent for diagnostics and repair.
the first time it was handed back to me after 5 days , no charge, and a report that states that there was no fault found.
Back home, the same old problem!
Back to Apple agent, this time 3 days, a report that states that it is possible that the HD acts up when heated(?). Replaced HD with 1T Seagate Barracuda $120, Repair cost $50.
get home and find I still have the same problem!

Then I find this thread and more specifically this comment.
being as technologically challenged as I am, I tried it in anyway, hoping for the best
AND IT WORKED!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Reaction score
IOFirewire

I am very technologically challenged!
Have been experiencing the exact same problem for about 4 weeks now (between 9 and 10 minutes to become operational from powering up)
Spent a fair amount of time without my iMac as I was advised to send it to our local Apple agent for diagnostics and repair.
the first time it was handed back to me after 5 days , no charge, and a report that states that there was no fault found.
Back home, the same old problem!
Back to Apple agent, this time 3 days, a report that states that it is possible that the HD acts up when heated(?). Replaced HD with 1T Seagate Barracuda $120, Repair cost $50.
get home and find I still have the same problem!

Then I find this thread and more specifically this comment.
being as technologically challenged as I am, I tried it in anyway, hoping for the best
AND IT WORKED!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

:[ Sadly it only worked once!
The 2nd time rebooting, same old ,same old…

Will keep reading and experimenting

Reaction score
:[ Sadly it only worked once!
The 2nd time rebooting, same old ,same old…

Will keep reading and experimenting

Boot up in verbose mode by holding down the Cmd-V keys. You'll then see each command displayed on the screen as the bootup proceeds and may be able to tell where stalls happen.

Reaction score
Boot up in verbose mode by holding down the Cmd-V keys. You'll then see each command displayed on the screen as the bootup proceeds and may be able to tell where stalls happen.

Thank you, I will keep this advice in mind. In the meantime I have replaced the HD with a 2Tb drive and at the same time updated the OS to the latest version. The problem seems to have gone away for now! (Although diagnostics on the old HD did not show up any problems)
Who knows???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.