10 minute boot on MacBook 1,1 OSX 10.6.. Blue screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Summarizing:
1. replacement (not new) hard drive, working okay, but no difference
2. replacement RAM, recommended brand, working okay, no difference
3. hardware analysis with Disk Utility, no difference
4. no issues found with OnyX and permissions repair
5. safe mode startup, boots faster (with some variation).

The console message suggests the boot sector of the hard drive is malfunctioning (although I don't pretend to understand everything that's listed). A Mac starts up by checking the physical state of the hard drive. It then proceeds to load a series or sequence of OS software, followed by applications, libraries, etc. The reason Safe mode gets the job done faster is because it disables quite a large chunk of OS software.

The nearly ten minute period suggests that the startup process is getting snagged on the very first hardware part. So, how to fix it?

In your situation I would fork out for a brand new drive, don't pinch pennies. If you want a drive brand recommendation, simply ask here, or search the hardware forums. Reinstall the OS, and take it from there.

Something else you can try - disable Spotlight, even temporarily. Open SysPrefs > Spotlight, and uncheck all the options. Then reboot.

OP
G
Reaction score
Summarizing:
1. replacement (not new) hard drive, working okay, but no difference
2. replacement RAM, recommended brand, working okay, no difference
3. hardware analysis with Disk Utility, no difference
4. no issues found with OnyX and permissions repair
5. safe mode startup, boots faster (with some variation).

The console message suggests the boot sector of the hard drive is malfunctioning (although I don't pretend to understand everything that's listed). A Mac starts up by checking the physical state of the hard drive. It then proceeds to load a series or sequence of OS software, followed by applications, libraries, etc. The reason Safe mode gets the job done faster is because it disables quite a large chunk of OS software.

The nearly ten minute period suggests that the startup process is getting snagged on the very first hardware part. So, how to fix it?

In your situation I would fork out for a brand new drive, don't pinch pennies. If you want a drive brand recommendation, simply ask here, or search the hardware forums. Reinstall the OS, and take it from there.

Something else you can try - disable Spotlight, even temporarily. Open SysPrefs > Spotlight, and uncheck all the options. Then reboot.

Awesome, okay ill go and try the spotlight and let you know how that turns out.

But here is why i still have doubts that it is a hard drive issue.. When i have the original OSX 10.4 installed the computer starts as it should and at a normal speed. Its only when i install OSX that the computer takes SO long to start.

Another reason im leaning towards a software and not a hardware issue is before when i had the older hard drive in, the system took 9 minutes and 25 seconds to start with a 5 second buffer.. This is very accurate and always took this long. After this new hard drive the computer still takes the same 9 min 25 seconds to start with a 5 second buffer. You would think that there would at least be a little bit of a difference but there wasnt.

So what i am thinking it could be is some kind of software issue being held up by my computer because it a older model and OSX 10.6 wasnt made for this model. Only thing that is making me think otherwise of this is there are other people iv seen with the same computer running osx 10.6 fine.

Just to clarify where the computer is getting held up. I start the computer, hear the chime, then it turns to the apple logo. It will stay there for a maybe one minute then it turns to a blue screen. Ill wait at the blue screen for the remainder of the time then my login panel will show up, or if i have auto login on it will just log in.. Iv also noticed that when i log out of my mac to change users, it takes about 10 minutes to get the the login screen again.. I dont know if that is helpful but i figured id mention it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay, tried turning off, or un-checking, all the spotlight, and it didnt change anything..:\

OP
G
Reaction score
Here another console report from boot.

Code:
8/7/11 4:36:39 PM com.apple.launchd[1] *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
8/7/11 4:36:42 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4598 (24498):2
8/7/11 4:36:42 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Path monitoring failed on "/private/var/spool/cups/cache/org.cups.cupsd": No such file or directory
8/7/11 4:37:55 PM com.apple.WindowServer[72] Sun Aug  7 16:37:55 Graham-Williamss-MacBook.local WindowServer[72] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
8/7/11 4:46:19 PM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[109] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init_per_user.d/RemoteUI.plist
8/7/11 4:46:19 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107] (com.apple.RemoteUI) Conflict with job: 0x102b50.mach_init.Front Row over Mach service: com.apple.RemoteUI
8/7/11 4:46:19 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107] (com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
8/7/11 4:46:27 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107] (com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[129]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/7/11 4:46:28 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[107] ([email protected][132]) Exited with exit code: 1

Heres my notes of the boot:

4:35pm - shut down computer
4:36pm - Turn on computer
- 0:10 seconds into start the apple logo shows up and the spinning wheel thing
- 1:22 into start the screen turns white
- 1:25 into start the screen tunrs blue

4:46pm - login screen pops up ( 9:24 after hitting start)
- 9:44 after start, i logged in.

Here is another thing i noticed, when the screen is blue, i pressed a bunch of keys on the keyboard to see if the screen is actually loaded and maybe it is just displaying blue.. Sure enough after the login screen appeared the 'password' box had all sorts of keys put into it. So i believe that the OS is started, just something is holding up the screen from showing it.

After looking at the console report i think this may be the problem.
Code:
8/7/11 4:37:55 PM com.apple.WindowServer[72] Sun Aug  7 16:37:55 Graham-Williamss-MacBook.local WindowServer[72] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

What are your guys thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Blue screen indicates the OS libraries etc being loaded after the boot sector has been verified.

When you reinstalled the OS (whichever version) did you do a 'clean' install, ie. completely erase the hard drive? If not, that needs to be done. Disk Utility will guide you through the process once you've booted from the Install disk. Select the option that does the most thorough job of erasing the HD of absolutely everything, AND passing over any faulty sectors on the HD.

OP
G
Reaction score
Blue screen indicates the OS libraries etc being loaded after the boot sector has been verified.

When you reinstalled the OS (whichever version) did you do a 'clean' install, ie. completely erase the hard drive? If not, that needs to be done. Disk Utility will guide you through the process once you've booted from the Install disk. Select the option that does the most thorough job of erasing the HD of absolutely everything, AND passing over any faulty sectors on the HD.

Yes, both with my old hard drive, I did a clean install to my older OSX 10.4 then upgraded to SL.

Then with this new hard drive I got, I had to partition the drive so I assumed it was completely empty... If I need too re-install the OS and completely clear off the hard drive again I will.

Also, maybe if you guys think it would help, I can clear off the hard drive, install my old OS 10.4 (which has no startup problems at all) then upgrade to SL. This wouldn't be the first time iv done this in general, but would be the fist time iv done it on the new hard drive... Just if you guys think it would help..

It just confuses me because I just started the computer and while waiting on the blue screen I typed in my password and hit enter.. Then after the blue screen went away the login panel showed up and was already logging me in. So it just backs up what I said before, the OS is running in the background... This to me almost points to a screen problem, but when I have the old OS installed it logs right in.... And it logs right in in safe mode... So the screen isn't the issue... Just some kind of software issue

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yes, both with my old hard drive, I did a clean install to my older OSX 10.4 then upgraded to SL.

Then with this new hard drive I got, I had to partition the drive so I assumed it was completely empty... If I need too re-install the OS and completely clear off the hard drive again I will.

Also, maybe if you guys think it would help, I can clear off the hard drive, install my old OS 10.4 (which has no startup problems at all) then upgrade to SL. This wouldn't be the first time iv done this in general, but would be the fist time iv done it on the new hard drive... Just if you guys think it would help..

It just confuses me because I just started the computer and while waiting on the blue screen I typed in my password and hit enter.. Then after the blue screen went away the login panel showed up and was already logging me in. So it just backs up what I said before, the OS is running in the background... This to me almost points to a screen problem, but when I have the old OS installed it logs right in.... And it logs right in in safe mode... So the screen isn't the issue... Just some kind of software issue

Out of curiosity, why are you installing the old OS and then upgrading to Snow Leopard?
The Snow Leopard retail set is a full OS and doesn't require that. You can do a clean install straight to Snow leopard.

OP
G
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why are you installing the old OS and then upgrading to Snow Leopard?
The Snow Leopard retail set is a full OS and doesn't require that. You can do a clean install straight to Snow leopard.

Well at this point I have tried both in a effort to see if I'm missing drivers for the mac or something. The last install I had on the computer was a 100% fresh install of only OSX 10.6 and it made no difference. At this point I'm reinstalling the old OS (so I can get iWork, iPhoto and such) then upgrading to OSX 10.6. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will work, but this is the 4th or 5th time iv had to reinstall the OS so I don't think anything will change.

When I get everything back up and installed I'm going to do a restart with console on, then compare it to a restart in safe mode and see what is actually turning on and working. Maybe then I'll be able to see exactly what the problem is...

In the mean time, if anyone has seen this issue before and knows a solution for it please let me know.

Reaction score
Same issue

I am following your thread intently because I am having the exact same issue as you after my 10.4 > 10.6 upgrade. I am on a G5 Tower though. wish I had some insight for you, but at this point I just keep restarting and walking away for 9 and a half min.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Any chance either of you might be running MacPilot? I saw a discussion on another site that mentioned it as a possible culprit.

Reaction score
Fixed, but don't know how.

I restarted my computer this morning and everything is back to normal. Started up in less than a minute and everything is working just fine. I don't remember allowing any updates very recently so I'm not sure what fixed it. Glad it is back to normal but wish I could be more helpful in the solution.

I have not been restarting my computer on a daily basis but only putting it in sleep mode to avoid the 10 min startup every morning. I did have a supplemental update to 10.6.8 about a week ago as well as an HP Printer Software Update, but I'm sure that I have restarted my computer a few times since then.

OP
G
Reaction score
8/18/11 10:43:41 PM com.apple.WindowServer[70] Thu Aug 18 22:43:41 localhost WindowServer[70] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

Hello everyone, this is my second thread in here about this same problem. With everyone in heres help i think i have come down to the very root of this problem. Here is a link to the other thread with a list of everything iv tried and have:

I am pretty sure that this error i get in console is my issue:

Code:
8/18/11 10:43:41 PM	com.apple.WindowServer[70]	Thu Aug 18 22:43:41 localhost WindowServer[70] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

Here is the error report from start to desktop:

Code:
8/18/11 10:42:24 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	*** launchd[1] has started up. ***
8/18/11 10:43:41 PM	com.apple.WindowServer[70]	Thu Aug 18 22:43:41 localhost WindowServer[70] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
8/18/11 10:43:48 PM	com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[104]	com.apple.ReportCrash.Self: Already loaded
8/18/11 10:43:55 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[85]	(com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[118]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/18/11 10:44:33 PM	com.apple.launchd[1]	(com.apple.xprotectupdater[16]) Exited with exit code: 255
8/18/11 10:49:53 PM	SystemUIServer[107]	It does not make sense to draw an image when [NSGraphicsContext currentContext] is nil.  This is a programming error. Break on _NSWarnForDrawingImageWithNoCurrentContext to debug.  This will be logged only once.  This may break in the future.

I have visited a few other sites and forums and seen other people who are having this 10 min boot problem and think its related to this error. Almost all of the forums iv read on it are just left empty handed or they came up with a solution that didnt/doesnt work for me.

Maybe some of you guys can tell me whats going on with this code and how i can resolve it.

Many thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start another thread. Keep your replies to the one thread that you already have in progress. Your new posts have been merged. You can bump this thread anytime to bring it back up to the top, no need to start a new thread.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok. Sorry about that. It just seems this is a sore subject with everyone.. im not kidding, ever other forum iv been too and found some people with similar problems people just stopped responding in the forum..

This issue is very annoying and i just dont know what else to try.. I mean i feel like i have done everything i can possibly do..

Here is my latest conclusion, i think it has something to do with these codes that come up in console:

Code:
 8/21/11 7:15:01 PM	/usr/libexec/hidd[28]	Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet 
8/21/11 7:19:01 PM	WindowServer[69]	Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet

Between those two codes in the startup im loosing around 7 minutes in start time. When i start in safe mode it takes around 2-3 minutes to start. Oddly enough when you add that 2-3 minutes to the 7 you get between 9-10 minutes.. the exact same time it takes for the system to start in normal mode.

Has anyone seen this code before and if so, did you ever see a fix for it?

PLEASE i beg everyone on this forum, I really need help with this.. Its been a very long month iv been dealing with it and i dont know how much longer i can take. Im going to be starting school tomorrow and will be taking a online class where ill need this computer to be working alright.. If anyone can help in any way ill be so grateful.

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Ok. Sorry about that. It just seems this is a sore subject with everyone.. im not kidding, ever other forum iv been too and found some people with similar problems people just stopped responding in the forum..

This issue is very annoying and i just dont know what else to try.. I mean i feel like i have done everything i can possibly do..

Here is my latest conclusion, i think it has something to do with these codes that come up in console:

Code:
 8/21/11 7:15:01 PM	/usr/libexec/hidd[28]	Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet 
8/21/11 7:19:01 PM	WindowServer[69]	Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet

Between those two codes in the startup im loosing around 7 minutes in start time. When i start in safe mode it takes around 2-3 minutes to start. Oddly enough when you add that 2-3 minutes to the 7 you get between 9-10 minutes.. the exact same time it takes for the system to start in normal mode.

Has anyone seen this code before and if so, did you ever see a fix for it?

PLEASE i beg everyone on this forum, I really need help with this.. Its been a very long month iv been dealing with it and i dont know how much longer i can take. Im going to be starting school tomorrow and will be taking a online class where ill need this computer to be working alright.. If anyone can help in any way ill be so grateful.

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Thanks

FWIW I found this reference.

Developer Library

Do you have any third party hardware that might be having driver issues? Other than that, I honestly haven't a clue. Sorry!

OP
G
Reaction score
FWIW I found this reference.

Developer Library

Do you have any third party hardware that might be having driver issues? Other than that, I honestly haven't a clue. Sorry!

Nope. Its a fresh install of retail OSX 10.6 and updated to 10.6.8.

I also tried doing a upgrade form Tiger when i had it installed (everything worked perfect then, start and all) and still no difference.

It has crossed my mind that it might be a driver issue, but what driver could it be where everything will work perfect in Tiger but not in SL?

Whatever it is, when i boot in safe mode it by passes it or something because safe mode takes around 2.5 minutes to start.

I have the system.log for a normal boot and for a safe mode boot. Its too long to include in this message, but if you guys think it will be helpful to look at let me know and ill post it

If anyone wants more information please let me know and ill do everything i can.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
As far as using this laptop for school goes just boot it up and keep it in sleep mode throughout the day. I know of people who keep their computers on for years without ever shutting them off.

As far as fixing the problem goes, I honestly don't know what could be causing it. You only have an Intel Core Duo processor correct? So upgrading to Lion isn't an option either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.