Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I moved the app to the Trash, but I didn't get the option to uninstall. What now?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reinstall it and then remove it according to the instructions you were given in the link provided by Staff Member dtravis7. Otherwise it will still be active.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting they changed it. A couple of weeks ago I installed it to see exactly what it did and followed the URL I gave and it all worked. Thanks for the updated instructions.

Reaction score
I also followed the instructions and needed to reinstall it again to have the screen pop up to uninstall mackeeper. I have followed the instructions and when looking in my downloads folder I see a mackeeper 2.2 folder. Wondering if I may have done something incorrectly still and need to reinstall it yet again or if I can just remove this folder into the trash can and empty it?

Thanks for your help, I know it can be trying when being asked the same questions over and over.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Uninstalling it is not going to delete the download - just as downloading it did not install it.

Once uninstalled properly, then delete the downloaded file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Thanks for the info. :)

Reaction score
Avast - Just for info

I have been running ClamXav on my 4 yr old iMac with 4 Gb ram. Based on above comparisons I downloaded and installed Avast, free version. My computer came almost to a standstill. It took 80 seconds to open Safari and another approx 80 to open another site. I checked CPU usage and it was 100%.This was with no scan running. I uninstalled, reinstalled and finally uninstalled after the same results. So, I'm back to ClamXav.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have been running ClamXav on my 4 yr old iMac with 4 Gb ram. Based on above comparisons I downloaded and installed Avast, free version. My computer came almost to a standstill. It took 80 seconds to open Safari and another approx 80 to open another site. I checked CPU usage and it was 100%.This was with no scan running. I uninstalled, reinstalled and finally uninstalled after the same results. So, I'm back to ClamXav.

The general consensus on this forum is that you do not an antivirus software that is constantly running and scanning. This (even in the Windows world) takes up a lot of resources and is worse in the Mac world whereby you see what you've experienced with the antivirus taking up all available resources..

I stopped using Windows on my home machine nearly a decade ago and with that the use of any antivirus software, with my switch to Mac about 4 years ago, that trend continued..

So I'm now over 10 years into not using any sort of anti-virus/malware/spyware software on my personal computer and happy for it..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
I have a new MacBook Pro and downloaded 'Bitedefender Virus Scanner' from the Apple Apps Store, runs once a day and automatic updates with current software.

Reaction score
I have a new MacBook Pro and downloaded 'Bitedefender Virus Scanner' from the Apple Apps Store, runs once a day and automatic updates with current software.

You should know that Bit Defender is not a particularly effective anti-virus program. In a recent test, it could only detect 58% of the known active threats that exist for the Macintosh:
http://www.reedcorner.net/downloads/malware_scan_results_2013.pdf

Though that shouldn't be too big a cause for concern, because at this point in time, no anti-virus software is necessary for the Macintosh. A quote from the Web site cited above:

"However, it is important to keep in mind that Mac OS X already does an admirable job of protecting against malware. At this time, there is no known malware capable of infecting a Mac running a properly-updated version of Mac OS X 10.6 or later, with all security settings left at the default (at a minimum)."
The Safe Mac » Mac anti-virus testing, part 2

What I'd worry more about is the performance hit, and possible software conflicts caused by, deeply embedded anti-virus software running that I don't need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
Thanks for the information about the Bitdefender, as it was Free it is now uninstalled

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I'd worry more about is the performance hit, and possible software conflicts caused by, deeply embedded anti-virus software running that I don't need.

This can't be stated often enough! Thanks once more for the links Randy.

Reaction score
Anyone interested in the topic of Mac malware should be interested to know that The Safe Mac Web site has a new URL:

The Safe Mac

That their Mac malware catalog (which includes ratings of how dangerous each individual threat is) has continued to be meticulously updated:

The Safe Mac : Mac Malware Guide

And there this is a more recent comparison test of all of the available anti-virus software programs for the Macintosh:

The Safe Mac » Mac anti-virus testing, part 2

S

sllewk

Hi, I have been a Mac user only since the new year (2014). I started with a Mac Mini 2008 model and have since upgraded to a new mini. Before I did anything regarding anti virus and other infections I took notice of all remarks on that subject. After due consideration I decided that those who write on this thread know what they are talking about, consequently I have not installed any anti virus software or any other software of that nature. I can say with all honesty that I have not had any trouble at all. So THANK YOU all for the advice. I am a convert to Apple Mac - you can stuff Windows up your jumper, it is not for me! Keith in Derby UK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just keep up to date with Software Updates sllewk and Windows 7 is okay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Early 2011, 15", Sierra 10.12
Malwarebytes

I have "Malwarebytes for MAC" installed and my MacBook Pro and performs well, when I run it. It is FREE. :D

Same for Malwarebytes for both WIN pc's + added Webroot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have "Malwarebytes for MAC" installed and my MacBook Pro and performs well, when I run it. It is FREE. :D

Same for Malwarebytes for both WIN pc's + added Webroot.

Yes, well covered in this forum in many posts and threads, and often recommended - just ran it on my wife's iMac after she received a false Facebook alert about malware. Dave :)

Reaction score
I have been using a Mac for some years now but have to use windows at work. The trouble with Virus's and Malware is how these people are going to make money with it. Most of the windows based malware is ransom ware where you have to pay to decrypt the files, as Macs become more popular we are soon going to see more of this rubbish finds its way onto the Mac. At present i am using Eset AV for mac as it doesn't seem to slow it down when i run a full scan, and it has protected me against a website that was trying to push something onto my Mac.

At least with the Mac you have to allow it to install something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.