Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
Apple has released another update - Java for OS X Lion 2012-2013. They say:

This Java security update removes the most common variants of the Flashback malware.

This update also configures the Java web plug-in to disable the automatic execution of Java applets. Users may re-enable automatic execution of Java applets using the Java Preferences application. If the Java web plug-in detects that no applets have been run for an extended period of time it will again disable Java applets.

Java for OS X Lion 2012-003 delivers Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_31 and supersedes all previous versions of Java for OS X Lion.

This update is recommended for all Mac users with Java installed.

Guess another update is a good idea...

Reaction score
Apple Flashback Removal Tool

In addition to Apple's most recent Java update which can remove Flashback, Apple has just released a stand-alone Flashback Removal Tool:

Apple Flashback Removal Tool
Flashback malware removal tool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
... and I was finally about to take the plunge and buy a Mac!

I know, don't be paranoid. It's not paranoia about the malware but about Apple's very slow response.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
... and I was finally about to take the plunge and buy a Mac!

I know, don't be paranoid. It's not paranoia about the malware but about Apple's very slow response.

I am a PC Tech. Every PC I get in here has more Malware than I can count. Go Linux I guess since you are afraid of Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" late 2011 / iP 6s / iPP 9.7"
I love this/these thread(s)!
I am on my second MBP - an ex PC owner but I'm still a user at work - with the same questions as 'MyLife' etc.
There is no way that I am as familiar with the Mac OS as I am with PC. Because I don't see a Mac until I use mine at home. - Yes I am digressing!

However, because of the 'uncertainty' as switcher with my first MBP I ran Symantec AV and Internet Security (IS). All was good but it cost me and I heard that it was not required with Mac and speed/performance issues etc.
So on this new MBP no AV or IS. Yes my MBP is updated, yes I use 'common sense' when visiting sites and no I don't travel down murky 'backwaters' intentionally - although I have accidentally.
As yet the system has held up, I'm pleasantly surprised. However, that nagging question persists. So I check this blog/thread regularly and always feel informed and updated after reading. Why, because within this thread alone, there's enough feedback and info to point you in the right direction should you need to acquire, downloads, info or just some re-assurance.
LONG LIVE THE THREAD!!

Reaction score
However, that nagging question persists.

You don't ever have to be afraid or in the dark.

Just scan your Mac with this free anti-virus program whenever you are concerned, and it will tell you if you have any malware problems. If you do, it can quarantine them for you, and it will allow you to delete them:

ClamXav (free)
ClamXav

If you want to be kept informed about the latest malware threats, and you want your information from a source that uses plain English and which isn't trying to sell you anything, I recommend that you keep an eye on:

Reed Corner Design Macintosh Malware Guide
Thomas' Corner : Mac Malware Guide

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" late 2011 / iP 6s / iPP 9.7"
Thanx RBS - much appreciated.

Reaction score
This might be a good place and time to bring up something that I've had to address twice just today.

If your anti-virus (AV) software flags something, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are "infected."

Mac AV software can pick up things other than Mac malware.

There are literally over a million Windows viruses. Sometimes they show up as an attachment to an e-mail message that you receive on your Mac. Windows malware can't run on your Mac, it can't harm your Mac, and in fact it is entirely harmless to you and your Mac. As long as you don't volitionally e-mail it to a Windows-using friend (and I don't see why you would do that), you can just ignore it. Or if you prefer you can just trash it.

There are lots of what is known as "phishing" e-mails these days. Most Mac AV software can pick those up too. "Phishing" e-mails aren't viruses. In fact, they aren't programs of any sort. They are spam e-mails that you have received that are trying to get you, via social engineering (i.e. lies and deceit), to either do something you shouldn't (usually send them personal information or money), or visit a Web site you shouldn't. Usually those e-mails are pretty easy to spot and just trash. Never click on a link in an e-mail from from an institution; always navigate manually to that institution's Web site, or call them. Never e-mail anyone back with personal information, no matter how legitimate an e-mail appears unless you are very sure that the e-mail is from them and that they need that information.

So, if your AV software flags something, don't get all excited, and don't go running around saying that you have a Mac "virus" until you look up on the Web what your software flagged. Chances are that what you found is nothing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great advice Randy. +1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
DNS Changer
DNSChanger Check: Look For Malware So You're Not Kicked Offline

The Fed's DNS Changer servers are going down today - double check that you aren't pointing to their servers.
Detect | DCWG

Now of course it seems the US server is down when I tried it this morning (too many people hitting it I believe)
DCWG Check UP - Inactive
For North America - you could try the Canadian server
DNSChanger Malware Checker - Détecteur de maliciel DNSChanger

Of course if you are infected it may be too late to even find this page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM
I had some email issues a while ago with my MBP and thanks to this forum I down loaded ClamX. (Emails were being forwarded that I never sent). The ClamX found a Trojan in one of my trashed emails and I was able get through that problem.

My yahoo account also sent/ forwarded some e-mails that I've never sent. I installed ClamX which also found a Trojan tdss. I've removed it from my mac (by deleting the document/program which was on my mac, I've never actually had to get rid of any viruses myself) and also changed my password on my e-mail account. Is there anything else I should do? Changing my password on my mac? On any online accounts? From what I've read on here the malware would not work on apple products, so should I not worry?

Well I guess the question been already answered, in previous posts

Reaction score
The Macintosh Malware Catalog has a new address:
Thomas' Corner : Mac Malware Guide

Thomas Reed, curator of that list, has done an excellent job of keeping on top of every piece of malware for the Macintosh, and updating threat levels as necessary.

Reaction score
My yahoo account also sent/ forwarded some e-mails that I've never sent. I installed ClamX which also found a Trojan tdss. I've removed it from my mac (by deleting the document/program which was on my mac, I've never actually had to get rid of any viruses myself) and also changed my password on my e-mail account. Is there anything else I should do? Changing my password on my mac? On any online accounts? From what I've read on here the malware would not work on apple products, so should I not worry?

Well I guess the question been already answered, in previous posts

I've told some of my buddies to let me know if they get any suspicious emails from me. I haven't had any issues since my original problem. To paraphrase, vigilance is the cost of using the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 4steve, Ipad2, MacBook Pro 13LED i7-2.9ghz 750GB
TrendMicro for Mountain Lion

Hello,
I purchased a new MacBook Pro today. I have two questions.

The salesman at Bestbuy gave me a free copy of Trend Micro AV. He said that my new laptop would have Lion OS and I would need to update to Mountain Lion. He was very concerned that I not install TrendMicro because he said there were issues running TrendMicro AV on Mountain Lion.

So my questions are:
How do I get Mountain Lion... I waited until after the new OS release just to avoid having to upgrade. Will I have to pay for the OS upgrade? ... Ya, I know it is only 20 bucks : )

Does anyone know if there is a conflict between AV products and Mountain Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

You do not have to upgrade but with a new machine you are entitled to a free upgrade to Mountain Lion. Regarding AV software, if you feel you must have protection, download the highly recommended ClamXAV. Here are links:-

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

Home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 4steve, Ipad2, MacBook Pro 13LED i7-2.9ghz 750GB
Thanks for the uptodate link

Apple has already sent me the Content Code and Password.
I'll do some more reading in the forums before attempting the upgrade.

Reaction score
Hacked PayPal Account

I have had my PayPal account hacked, not too sure how but had an unauthorised billing for a MacBook Pro. Have lodged a dispute with PayPal and also have had made my bank aware and they will not process payment when it hits my credit card account.

Could someone recommend a good antivirus/malware app for Imac do not mind if it is not a freebie.

Thanks for all and any replies.

Reaction score
I have had my PayPal account hacked, not too sure how but had an unauthorised billing for a MacBook Pro. Have lodged a dispute with PayPal and also have had made my bank aware and they will not process payment when it hits my credit card account.

I don't think that you have been hacked. Lots of users have been receiving scam phishing e-mails:
Phishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
that say that they have been charged on their PayPal account, on their UPS account, on their Chase credit card account, etc.

DON'T EVER click on anything in one of these e-mails. I hope that you didn't "lodge your dispute" with PayPal by clicking on a link in the e-mail you received. That's how they fool you into giving them sensitive private information.

Could someone recommend a good antivirus/malware app for Imac do not mind if it is not a freebie.

You can use this free product to do a scan to see if you have an infection. But I'd be willing to bet that you don't have one. Rather, you fell for a social engineering trick.

ClamXav (free)
ClamXav

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good info Randy and a reminder to all of us about Phishing schemes. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.