Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
Great article- though one point seemed a bit biased toward Windows. On the whole though, I definitely agree that an iPad cannot be the ONLY device you use in college, it simply isn't practical. But it is a great device for taking to class everyday, notetaking, etc. In the end though- NOT A LAPTOP REPLACEMENT.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
"It's too distracting, what with all the games, apps, 4Gs, web-browsing, Twitters, and IMs" - That's a terrible reason not to get one. It assumes that laptops are somehow less distracting and trust me, they aren't. I can't tell you how often I see people on FB or other websites in class. In fact, sometimes in undergrad, I saw people watching movies on their notebooks (why even come to class?).

"What makes it desirable to your kid is what makes it desirable to criminals" - The figures for notebook theft must be astronomical because we get reminded constantly not to leave our notebooks unguarded. How is an iPad any different?

"It's meant for the enjoyment of one person, which means social seclusion" - That's just plain ludicrous.

"Digital text books are a marvel, but there's no secondary market" - This I actually agree with. Used textbooks are not only dirt cheap but much more enjoyable to read. More importantly, they're easier to markup.

"It'll already be Old Technology by the time you buy it" - So is a notebook.

Some of those reason are just plain ridiculous. I do agree with the sentiment though. It should not be a replacement for a real computer despite the potential it has. Especially for those in specialized fields, an iPad would be a good accoutrement.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have to agree Van. And anyone who thinks the iPad can't be a social device is dead wrong. While they can only be controlled by one person at a time they tend to draw a crowd.

Reaction score
iPad for a student ...

I have a 15-inch MPB and an iPad2 and agree with the article. The iPad is great fun but no way is it for serious work. An outboard keyboard would be a must for essay writing and the iPad screen is too small.

M

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have a 15-inch MPB and an iPad2 and agree with the article. The iPad is great fun but no way is it for serious work. An outboard keyboard would be a must for essay writing and the iPad screen is too small.

M

If you only had an iPad and had a paper due, I bet you could get it done. It won't be pretty but you would "make it work."

Reaction score
Sure it could be done. But it would be fiddly to do. And I couldn't bear to hand in something that didn't look right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.