Snow Leopard slowed my Mac down

Reaction score
Hi, -

recently I upgraded to Snow Leopard from Leopard as one has to have Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to Lion. The upgrade to SL made a number of applications run incredibly slow. Notably Firefox and Netbeans, which I use all the time.

I suspect this is because I didn't erase the disc before the install. (The install procedure never prompted me with an option and just proceeded to upgrade).

I want to re-install to get the speed back. Can anyone recommend it? Has erasing the disc and installing SL from scratch worked better for anyone than upgrading?

Thanks!

/ rubyist

PS. I have a MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo, purchased 2008.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
recently I upgraded to Snow Leopard from Leopard as one has to have Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to Lion. The upgrade to SL made a number of applications run incredibly slow. Notably Firefox and Netbeans, which I use all the time.

I suspect this is because I didn't erase the disc before the install. (The install procedure never prompted me with an option and just proceeded to upgrade).

I want to re-install to get the speed back. Can anyone recommend it? Has erasing the disc and installing SL from scratch worked better for anyone than upgrading?

PS. I have a MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo, purchased 2008.

Core Duo, or Core 2 Duo? Lion is not compatible with the Core Duo.

If you are going to upgrade to Lion, why not just go ahead and install Lion clean to a new partition? Once done and you find it to your liking, you can work on removing Snow Leopard. See this post for the procedure I outlined for another member:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...leopard-lion-partitions-same-hd-question.html

P.S.: How much RAM do you have?

OP
R
Reaction score
Core Duo, or Core 2 Duo? Lion is not compatible with the Core Duo.

It's Core 2 Duo - sorry.

P.S.: How much RAM do you have?

1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Would you still recommend installing Lion to a new partition given the above data? Also, what guarantee is there that Lion will be faster - I thought if anything, SL would be faster than L but in fact the exact opposite happened.

:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's Core 2 Duo - sorry.

1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Would you still recommend installing Lion to a new partition given the above data? Also, what guarantee is there that Lion will be faster - I thought if anything, SL would be faster than L but in fact the exact opposite happened.

Your biggest handicap is your RAM. 512 MB was the minimum required for Leopard, so you were at double the minimum recommendations. 1 GB RAM is the "minimum" requirement for Snow Leopard, and Lion requires 2 GB RAM. Running with the minimum requirements isn't generally a good idea for any OS. It'll work, but just barely. Ideally you should bump it to 4 GB.

OP
R
Reaction score
1 GB RAM is the "minimum" requirement for Snow Leopard, and Lion requires 2 GB RAM.

Ah, I see - that's why it's gotten so slow. Maybe I should look into upgrading RAM before anything else. Still it would be great to know how to install Lion with a clean install (erasing the disc) - is there a good tutorial for that?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still it would be great to know how to install Lion with a clean install (erasing the disc) - is there a good tutorial for that?

There are a few different ways. You can either follow my advice in the thread I linked to, or make a Lion install disc, instructions here:
OS X Lion: How to Do a Clean Install

Apple will also be making Lion available for purchase on a USB stick next month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
Your biggest handicap is your RAM. 512 MB was the minimum required for Leopard, so you were at double the minimum recommendations. 1 GB RAM is the "minimum" requirement for Snow Leopard, and Lion requires 2 GB RAM. Running with the minimum requirements isn't generally a good idea for any OS. It'll work, but just barely. Ideally you should bump it to 4 GB.

Granted this is because the "minimum" here is representing what was available as the base line on any compatible machines... Lion you will definitely want a bit more RAM for, though.

Reaction score
how to do clean install after already installed Lion

Hi,

I was reading your posts above as I have a similar problem. I installed Lion and my iMac is dragging now. after reading your threads I am sure its due to not enough ram, which I was already suspecting. sooooo, how should I proceed in updating ram and I would like to do a clean install again for Lion? any suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
sdramins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No the install will be just fine. Simply go to OWC or another seller of Mac compatible memory and make a selection. Cannot held further than that sdramins as you have not included model details. Select your iMac model from here:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Granted this is because the "minimum" here is representing what was available as the base line on any compatible machines... Lion you will definitely want a bit more RAM for, though.

Well Apple was hardly going to ship new Macs with less RAM than what was necessary for the OS that came on them.

OP
R
Reaction score
There are a few different ways. You can either follow my advice in the thread I linked to, or make a Lion install disc, instructions here:
OS X Lion: How to Do a Clean Install

Apple will also be making Lion available for purchase on a USB stick next month.

Awesome! Thanks for all the info.

Cheers, rubyist

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.