flashing questionmark folder on g5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac g5 1.8ghz 1 gb ram iBook G4 1.2ghz 768 mb ram
ok so the other day i was working on a paper and the imac froze, this is weird, i thought, this had never happened before. so i restart the computer and i get a folder with a mac face and a flashing question mark. what the ****? so i tried several times restarting it and it never worked, so i took it to the apple store. the guy there held down x and it eventually sarted up osx, he even opened itunes and showed me my songs, so i guess the harddrive isnt ruined. when i got back the computer started up fine, after about fifteen minutes it had gone to sleep and when i woke it up it froze, i could move the mouse but the dock wasnt responding and i couldnt open anything. so thats my story, about once out of 7 times osx will open, but it freezes almost immediately. when i inserted the osx install cd, i go through the steps and when it gets to the "select a volume destination" there is no harddrive to select. i really need help this is sooooo frustrating! thank you guys for bearing with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
tomasismyname said:
....when i inserted the osx install cd, i go through the steps and when it gets to the "select a volume destination" there is no harddrive to select. i really need help this is sooooo frustrating! thank you guys for bearing with me.
That is a sign that there is seriously something wrong with your HD. Take it back to the store to have a tech look at it and schedule a warranty repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.