Warning prior to updating iPad software ...

Reaction score
I've just successfully synched some stuff from MPB to iPad2 but have hit a problem. The iPad is telling me there's a new version of iTunes software ready for downloading. But when I go to do this, a warning comes up:

"There are purchased items on the iPad that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. Your should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPad."

Theses purchased items must be one or two books from the iTunes store. So am I supposed to move these from the iPad to the MPB? (I suppose that's where the iTunes library is situated.) But I didn't think the MPB could read novels.

I've got the book, "iPad2 Made Simple", and on page 129 it shows two windows and a 'Save To' button. But my left window shows the Books app; the right window shows, not the documents with a 'Save To' button, but the desktop of my iPad.

Could someone pse help?

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've just successfully synched some stuff from MPB to iPad2 but have hit a problem. The iPad is telling me there's a new version of iTunes software ready for downloading. But when I go to do this, a warning comes up:

"There are purchased items on the iPad that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. Your should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPad."

Theses purchased items must be one or two books from the iTunes store. So am I supposed to move these from the iPad to the MPB? (I suppose that's where the iTunes library is situated.) But I didn't think the MPB could read novels.

I've got the book, "iPad2 Made Simple", and on page 129 it shows two windows and a 'Save To' button. But my left window shows the Books app; the right window shows, not the documents with a 'Save To' button, but the desktop of my iPad.

I've gotten that warning several times in the past despite being absolutely certain that everything was synced properly. I'm quite certain it's "simply" a bug. In iTunes, you can check to see if your books are synced by looking up to the top left in iTunes. There's a category for Books.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply but I'm still confused.

I've bought some e-books for the iTunes store and I've bought some Kindle books from Amazon.

The warning message says: "There are purchased items on the iPad that have not been transferred to your iTunes library". But which library do they mean? Do they mean the library with wooden shelves that you see on the iPad? Or do they mean one of the libraries on my MPB? (There are a couple of these "libraries" as part of OS 10.)

The various e-books from the iTunes store appear in the library with the wooden shelves, but the Kindle books are not there. Is it perhaps the case that Kindle books are not placed with the iTunes books.

Sorry to be dim but I'm still feeling my way with the iPad. Should I be moving the e-books and the Kindle books from the iPad to the MPB as a back-up?

The Kindle app does not provide the neat page-turning feature that you get with an e-book (but I believe that it is available on the Kindle device itself). Presumably this is a limitation of the app, but perhaps it will be provided later.

All comments welcomed ...

M

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As lifeisabeach has suggested, the best I can do is reiterate - ignore that message. Would guess I see it half the time I connect either my iPad or one our iPhones.

Kindle does not backup it's books into iTunes.
No reason to back them up onto a hard drive I can see. They re-download faster than you can connect to a computer and re-transfer them, and Amazon even knows what page you're on in the book when you re-download one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
This warning is referring to your iTunes Library on your HD. (the collection of iTunes data stored on your HD--not the wooden bookshelf) You have purchased (or downloaded for free) one or more apps directly from the App Store onto your iPad. iTunes is asking to transfer a backup copy of these newly downloaded apps onto your HD. You should always allow this transfer to take place. This is an integral part of syncing the iPad to the MBP.

In the unlikely event that your iPad died, was stolen, etc. You can get a new iPad, plug it into iTunes, click restore, and iTunes will restore the new iPad to the condition of the old one. Transferring a copy of all apps to iTunes is also a requirement to restore the iPad after updating the firmware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The warning message says: "There are purchased items on the iPad that have not been transferred to your iTunes library". But which library do they mean? Do they mean the library with wooden shelves that you see on the iPad? Or do they mean one of the libraries on my MPB? (There are a couple of these "libraries" as part of OS 10.)

The libraries that you are thinking of are for the OS and your user account, and are critical to their operation. The iTunes Library isn't that at all. It's just the collection of your music, videos, apps, and books. Like a real-world library. The actual location of those files are normally in your Music folder. But don't worry about that. If you see all your iTunes purchases in the iTunes categories (top left of window), then the warning can be ignored. Apple allows you to re-download all your purchases for free in any event.

OP
M
Reaction score
Warning ...

Thanks very much everyone for that helpful advice. I've done a few more synchs and, with the help of your information, am getting the hang of things.

M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.