MS Office for Mac / trimming down the fat!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3
Hi!

I've got MS Office 2008 installed, however, I really only use Word, Excel, Powerpoint but very rarely. I do not use Entourage at all since I've switched to the Mail app.

My question is: in my /Documents folder, I have Microsoft User Data folder, which currently weighs 57 GBs!! Not only am I itching to delete Entourage, as I don't want it to take up space, but also what would happen if I deleted the folder? Could I still use Word and Excel without a problem??

I would really like to trim the Microsoft fat on my Mac!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi!

I've got MS Office 2008 installed, however, I really only use Word, Excel, Powerpoint but very rarely. I do not use Entourage at all since I've switched to the Mail app.

My question is: in my /Documents folder, I have Microsoft User Data folder, which currently weighs 57 GBs!! Not only am I itching to delete Entourage, as I don't want it to take up space, but also what would happen if I deleted the folder? Could I still use Word and Excel without a problem??

I would really like to trim the Microsoft fat on my Mac!!

I can't answer your specific question, but if you use it that rarely, perhaps you should consider dropping it entirely and using a free alternative like LibreOffice. It's compatible with Office formats and while not as fully featured as Office is, it may be good enough for your needs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't answer your specific question, but if you use it that rarely, perhaps you should consider dropping it entirely and using a free alternative like LibreOffice. It's compatible with Office formats and while not as fully featured as Office is, it may be good enough for your needs.

Well, I still use Word and Excel extensively. Will deleting the Microsoft User Data file disable the use of Word and Excel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well, I still use Word and Excel extensively. Will deleting the Microsoft User Data file disable the use of Word and Excel?

As before, I can't answer that specific question. Have you looked at the contents to see what's in there? You can always try making a backup copy of it, then deleting the original and see if it has an effect on your work. Barring that, perhaps someone else will come along who can provide more insight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Yes, it will. However that size is crazy. What folder/file in there is taking up so much space?

As an example, My Microsoft User Data folder takes up 88MB and that includes data from 2004, 2008, and 2011.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it will. However that size is crazy. What folder/file in there is taking up so much space?

As an example, My Microsoft User Data folder takes up 88MB and that includes data from 2004, 2008, and 2011.

It's the Office 2008 Identities folder, which then has the Main identity and seven (why on earth?!) back up folders.

I'd attach a picture, but don't know how to...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It's the Office 2008 Identities folder, which then has the Main identity and seven (why on earth?!) back up folders.

I'd attach a picture, but don't know how to...

You can delete the backup folders. But you need to keep the main identity if you plan on using Entourage/Outlook. If not, you can delete that one also.

You should however back them up and try it before permanently deleting them.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can delete the backup folders. But you need to keep the main identity if you plan on using Entourage/Outlook. If not, you can delete that one also.

You should however back them up and try it before permanently deleting them.

I now only use Mail app to check my emails, but I want to keep Entourage, just in case i need to open a mail message (when it is attached to another email or something)...sometimes they are attached in the Windows format which Mail doesn't read. However, to do that, I don't need any of the data that Entourage stores.

I'll have a go at backing up and then deleting all folders.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.