OS Snow Leopard, Lion...bugs??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3
I started using my Mac right after SL was released so I don't know how the launch went. However, i really want to know, was the release of SL as buggy and problematic as that of Lion??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I started using my Mac right after SL was released so I don't know how the launch went. However, i really want to know, was the release of SL as buggy and problematic as that of Lion??

Yes, but also remember, what you see online in forums are mostly complaints. There have been over a million installs of Lion.

So your view of how buggy it is actually is skewed by looking at a help forum :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but also remember, what you see online in forums are mostly complaints. There have been over a million installs of Lion.

So your view of how buggy it is actually is skewed by looking at a help forum :)

Also true....but I just wanted to know, that if SL was just as buggy, then its OK....but if SL launch was perfect and then suddenly Lion was crap, then that's a regressive trend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also true....but I just wanted to know, that if SL was just as buggy, then its OK....but if SL launch was perfect and then suddenly Lion was crap, then that's a regressive trend.

There has never been a major OS release in history that was perfect. And Lion is hardly "crap" unless all you're choosing to pay attention to are the people complaining?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There has never been a major OS release in history that was perfect. And Lion is hardly "crap" unless all you're choosing to pay attention to are the people complaining?
Yep, the more functionality changes.. the more potential problems there will be. The bugs that are found will be fixed, and in short order. All in all, I really liked Lion in general. It was a pretty slick OS.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Quite so. I guess I'll wait for the first fixes and then switch to it :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Actually, I think the Snow Leopard transition went pretty well. Tiger to Leopard might be a better comparison. I remember Acrobat 8 wasn't Leopard compatible. It took what seemed like months for Adobe to update Acrobat. I use pdfs everyday, and it was extremely aggravating to have to transfer them to a Windows machine if you wanted to view them with the correct formatting.

The problems are usually a result of slow updates on the part of the various software manufacturers, although Apple is the one that catches most of the heat for the incompatibilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Agreed with all above. Leopard to Snow Leopard was very smooth. The only significant issue I can recall were some permissions bugs some people got hit with that were a little difficult to eradicate. I got bit too and had to rely on a 3rd-party tool to correct it completely.

As for Lion, most of the complaints about it are more of the "I don't like how Lion does this or that now" type. They are fair complaints if they interfere with your preferred workflow and needs, but a large number of them can be worked out. A number of the new features can simply be turned off. I don't like LaunchPad, so I simply don't use it. The "natural" scrolling… inverted back.

If you want to minimize the chance you will get bit by a real bug, then by all means wait for 10.7.1 to drop. Rumor has it that 10.7.2 has already been seeded for developers to test, which does suggest 10.7.1 should drop very soon.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tips guys...must be patient

Reaction score
Mission Control & Resolution?

:'(Usually new OS releases FIX things and introduce new things THAT WORK. I am VERY SORRY that I installed Lion--especially for my use of a larger monitor (rather than the 13" Macbook). My question: I saw on here somewhere (I haven't been able to find it again, still learning to navigate) that someone said to use MISSION CONTROL. Excuse my MacDumbness; how does one use Mission Control to even get at screen res issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Speaking from Experience, I started with Leopard, went to Snow Leopard and have installed Lion on a partition along side SL... In each case, I've not once thought that anything was buggy or glitchy. I've encountered things I didn't perhaps like, right off the bat, but that's just personal stuff. Aside from that, I've not had any complaints, including with Lion.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
:'(Usually new OS releases FIX things and introduce new things THAT WORK. I am VERY SORRY that I installed Lion--especially for my use of a larger monitor (rather than the 13" Macbook). My question: I saw on here somewhere (I haven't been able to find it again, still learning to navigate) that someone said to use MISSION CONTROL. Excuse my MacDumbness; how does one use Mission Control to even get at screen res issues?

Just a tip - never purchase a new OS in its initial release unless you are prepared to deal with quirkiness. It doesn't matter how large the beta testing pool is, nothing can weed out the bugs like mass adoption. It's always better to wait for at least the first major update (which looks to be due out any day now).

Snow Leopard was quirky too, even more so than Lion, IMO. It also took much longer for developers to get their software up-to-date, as I recall. Heck, we must have had a hundred threads talking about reverting back to Leopard back then. But a month or two went by, and all of the sudden no one was complaining about Snow Leopard anymore.

The same thing will happen with Lion - people just don't do well with having 'someone move their cheese'.

As to your question - not sure how to answer as you didn't really describe your problem. If you truly need to change your screen resolution, then no, Mission Control wouldn't do you a bit of good. Those settings would be found in System Preferences => Display.

If you're talking about managing your windows like you would in Exposé, then yes, Mission Control is roughly equivalent. The Mission Control icon should be right in your Dock.

If I'm completely off-base, then please fill us in with a bit more detail...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

Actually, new product is almost exclusively new feature introduction. Minor versions are going to be fix content. This is pretty much true of any product. Who in their right mind would expect to pay fully for fix content?

That said, the only reason I rolled back to 10.6 (and I only did so on my portable) was the battery issue. On all the other machines in the house it hasn't been a significant issue (mine was > 60% reduction), so they're all still on 10.7. As soon as that's been fixed, I'll reinstall and update. That said, I did call support log a case.. then I opened a bug report on my own ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
EVERY and i repeat EVERY new OS has a few small things they don't catch. To me Lion is quite good and very Bug free. Just a few that only seem to affect some people with some mac models.

Tiger had a serious bug out of the box release day. The DOCK on some systems, my Mac Mini included, the Dock would magnify then stay that way even when you moved the mouse away. It was fixed after a few days but still got in my way.

Reaction score
Speaking as a software developer I can tell you that a bug free release is a very rare thing and not something you get on an OS release. They are far to complicated to test every possible combination of options, hardware and users.

We all like to think that out software is idiot proof but you have no idea how resourceful idiots can be!

I learned this the hard way many years ago when I was tripped up by a date field. Dates worked perfectly but as a young developer it never occurred to me to see what happened when you entered a name in the date field.

I mean why would you? Needless to say I never made that mistake again! :[

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
We all like to think that out software is idiot proof but you have no idea how resourceful idiots can be!

;p;p;!! I may have to borrow this from time to time...:)

Reaction score
I have just installed Lion .... a little early for me to put a release on my system ... but with that said it seems to be OK thus far. I will probably find something that is a problem ... but over all it looks pretty good ... just my 2cents

butch
<><

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.