stop mail opening on startup, Lion

Reaction score
I have just installed Lion.
when ever I boot up the mac book pro, mail opens up, I have checked by right clicking on the mail icon, and in options "open at log in" isnt ticked. what am I missing here ?
thanks for any pointers :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Quit Mail before you shut down. Lion reopens any apps that were open when you shut down to bring you back to the same place you left off. Yes, it can be a pitr.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't think so, but I haven't really looked for a way yet since I never shut down any of my computers unless required to do so by updates, etc.

If there's not, I'd expect to see some 3rd party apps out fairly shortly that will disable this particular "feature".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17"
When you press the power button to close down, uncheck the box that says 'Reopen windows when logging back in'. It seems we have to do it manually everytime we close down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, you can either de-select the checkbox on the shutdown or restart dialog box or you can universally turn it off.

You can turn off the auto save and resume functionality under General in System Preferences. Just uncheck where it says "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps".

Just be aware that this affects all apps.

lion%20auto%20save.png

Reaction score
mail

Neither of these suggestions works. You think it would unfortunately it does not. I tried and mail still opens automatically, at least on my computer it does.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Neither of these suggestions works. You think it would unfortunately it does not. I tried and mail still opens automatically, at least on my computer it does.

If neither works you have another setting checked. Open System Preferences, Users and then on the Login Items tab. Be sure Mail is not in that list. If it is, select it and click the Minus sign.

C

chas_m

Much simpler:

While Mail is open, click-and-hold on the icon in the Dock. Choose "options." Is there a check mark next to "Open at Login"? If so, select it again to "uncheck" that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Much simpler:

While Mail is open, click-and-hold on the icon in the Dock. Choose "options." Is there a check mark next to "Open at Login"? If so, select it again to "uncheck" that.

In the OP's first post he said that Open At Login is NOT checked.

Reaction score

I am having exactly the same problem. Despite making sure that Mail is not marked to open on start-up in all places mentioned in this thread, it is STILL open every time i start-up.
Worse still not only is it always started, but its has crashed and I have to quit and re-open. This is consistent, every single time..

EDIT - weirder still, i have now checked it so to say i DO want it open on startup, and it behaves as it should. not crashing!
This still hasn't cured the problem though that I can't stop it from opening at start up...

FINAL EDIT AND SOLUTION!!!
- All I did was check the option to "open at login", reboot, then uncheck "open at login", and reboot. and that was it fixed. see how that goes...

Reaction score
I have just installed Lion.
when ever I boot up the mac book pro, mail opens up, I have checked by right clicking on the mail icon, and in options "open at log in" isnt ticked. what am I missing here ?
thanks for any pointers :)

In System Preferences
Under "Internet & Wireless"
->Mail, Contact, &Calendars
->Select your account in left hand column and deselect what ever items on the right you wish.
Make sure every other app is closed before shutting down or restarting, and you should have a clean desktop upon login

Reaction score
Fixed

I had the same issue and is annoying.

Right click on 'Mail' icon in dock>Options>[Uncheck] Open at login

Your mail can now rest in peace.! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.