Auto-fill passwords

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX 10.6.8
Hi Friends,

This is my first post and I'm actually not sure I have the right forum, but here goes:

I have an iMac OS X 10.6.8 and use Safari 5.1. Many of the websites I visit require a username and password which I want Safari to auto-fill based on the site. I have checked off (or is it on?) my Safari Auto-Fill Preferences to use the Address Book, Usernames and Passwords, and Other Forms.

The auto-fill function does not work on all the sites I visit and I have to enter the username and password each time these sites are accessed.

On the sites where this function does work, the first time I visited the site and entered my username and password, I got a pop-up asking me if this should be remembered and I said yes.

I do not remember getting this pop-up on the sites where the auto-fill does not work. Frankly, I do not even remember if all three boxes were checked in the Safari Auto-Fill Preferences when I first visited these sites.

I tried to Edit the Usernames and Passwords and Other Forms from the Auto-Fill Preferences but this only gave me the option to Remove or Remove All - I could not Add an entry.

While searching MacForums to see if someone had encountered this situation, I came across the Keychain utility. So, I tried adding the URL for these sites to my Keychain to no avail. And I did not see where I could add the username and password for the URL anyway.

Sorry for being so long-winded and would appreciate any help my fellow Mac users can provide.

Thanks for listening.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.